Honored Contributor

I watched the finale last night, big surprise, Higgins wasn't deported. I do have a question. In the original series, I don't think we ever saw Robin Masters, wasn't it always thought Higgins was really Robin? Do you think Juliette is really Robin?

Respected Contributor

Re: Magnum P.I. Season Finale

@Jordan2 wrote:

I watched the finale last night, big surprise, Higgins wasn't deported. I do have a question. In the original series, I don't think we ever saw Robin Masters, wasn't it always thought Higgins was really Robin? Do you think Juliette is really Robin?

That's an interesting thought but I don't think she is Robin.   I think the whole concept from both the original and this new revision is that Robin Masters will always be an unseen character.   

Actually I kind of like that idea because it's fun to just build up an image in your mind of what he looks like.

I'm not going to completely rule out your idea though because they could pull a switch on us and suddenly turn Juliette in Robin Masters.

It was an odd ending last night when Robin gave Juliette his entire estate.   Who knows what might transpire in the next season.   

Honored Contributor

I never thought Robin Masters was Higgins in the original. I didn't watch the remake.
Respected Contributor

Yes,  it was a running plot point that Magnum was always trying to prove that Higgins WAS Robin Masters.  Such fun.  I haven't seen the new show but I know Higgins is now female.  I thought since they were trying to switch things up with the characters  the easiest thing would be to change the dogs.  from Zeus and Apollo to Apollo and Athena. Wouldn't be the Lads anymore but Siblings none the less. 

Esteemed Contributor

I never watched the original Magnum when it first came on, but am able to watch a bit each day because I’m home due to the pandemic. I did however “thought” I knew that Higgins was Robin Masters, so I did some googling as I watched.

Magnum never thought Higgens was Masters until Orson Welles (who voiced Robin) died. Some of the backstory didn’t fit that scenario and was...rewritten. On the final episode, Higgens implied to Magnum that he was correct (that he was Masters.) And that’s how it ended. However, it’s still questionable as, in the same episode, Higgens told Rick that he was not. [The final episodes were just on a couple weeks ago, but I missed most of it working to see how it all played out myself.]

I do really like the new Magnum. I currently don’t think Juliette is Robin, and hope they don’t go in that same direction. At this point, since Juliette now owns the house, does it matter? (Of course, arguably, why would someone gift such a huge estate to an employee?)
Esteemed Contributor

I really like this series. I like Tim Kang who was on the Mentalist. I think this is a good cast and was happy it was renewed. I am wondering if they will bring some of the characters from Hawaii Five O to this series. Ian Anthony Dale appeared on the finale for a nano minute. Jay Hernandez who plays Magnum is fun to watch. 

Esteemed Contributor

On last night's episode, Magnum actually called and spoke with Robin and Juliet's issue.  I do not think she is Robin.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Trusted Contributor

I thought Magnum (the original) and Robin were friends from way back and that is why Magnum was allowed to live on the estate and head up security. I was always confused when seasons later Magnum was asking Higgins if he was Robin. Who knows.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Magnum used to speak to Robin in the original too (I just googled that we actually hear Robin's voice in 5 episodes, played four times by Orson Welles before he died).  But, in later seasons, Magnum began to suspect that Higgens hired an actor to play the international  playboy/writer Robin. Magnum was personally invited to the estate by Robin, which I guess would explain the animosity Higgens had if a faux Robin invited him.

It wasn't originally supposed to be this way (apparently Orson Welles was going to show up in person, but he died beforehand), and the writers left it ambiguous in the end.

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego thank you for going the extra mile and researching Magnum! I think it would be cool to learn Juliette was Robin all along ( of course not until the series finale). I can see Magnum absorbing some of the characters from Hawaii Five-O, we have seen some of them already.