Honored Contributor

Re: Magnum P.I. Remake is Coming to CBS This Fall

TV and movies cost more and more to make and more and more to watch and this is what we get... Glorified reruns... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Regular Contributor

I enjoy seeing the reboots.  Some good shows coming back, I don't see the problem with it.  Hawaii 5-0 was remade and it's been on air for years now, it's a good show.  I loved Magnum PI, it was one of my favorites, and I will definitely be checking out the new show.  I will give it a chance.

Esteemed Contributor

There just doesn't seem to be any originality in Hollywood anymore. So many shows are remakes of older shows and imo not as good.

There isn't anyone that can replace Tom Selleck as Magnum P.I. Talk about perfection, lol!!

Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

TV and movies cost more and more to make and more and more to watch and this is what we get... Glorified reruns... 

@stevieb There is no payroll saving to bring back a former TV show.  If they try to use original cast members, those actors may demand a higher salary than fresh new, and cheap (by Hollywood standards), talent in a brand new show.  The advertisers might be more comfortable with the potential for higher ratings with a previous hit show.  For that reason, Madison Avenue (nickname for the big advertising agencies whose clients advertise on prime time network programming), may have a hand in this trend too. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, Candice Bergen was on The Talk yesterday, already filming the new Murphy Brown.

Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

A remake of the popular 80s series Magnum P.I., which starred Tom Selleck, is coming to CBS in the fall. It will feature Jay Hernandez in the role of Thomas Magnum.

I don't think this will be successful. How can you recreate perfection?!

IMG_0574.JPG

You can't.

Honored Contributor

Tom Selleck could still do it.

Honored Contributor

@Jackyl wrote:

I enjoy seeing the reboots.  Some good shows coming back, I don't see the problem with it.  Hawaii 5-0 was remade and it's been on air for years now, it's a good show.  I loved Magnum PI, it was one of my favorites, and I will definitely be checking out the new show.  I will give it a chance.

@Jackyl: I hear ya. A couple of the remakes-- Hawaii 5-0 and MacGyver-- have been successful. But to me, Tom Selleck WAS Magnum, and there's no one who could fill his shoes, IMO. 

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

Jay Hernandez ...... He's no Tom Selleck.

Image result for jay hernandez magnum pi.Rear view mirror: The original series depicted the gumshoe as a fast car loving ladies man

Image result for jay hernandez magnum

Tom Selleck 6' 4"     Jay Hernandez  5' 9"

...not that size matters Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

I'm theorizing that this remake is geared toward young viewers, many of whom weren't even born when the original Magnum P.I. aired.  Woman Surprised

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~