Respected Contributor

For those that grew up in the 60s, I would like to ask if you find the show accurate in its portrayal of sexuality during this era in the US. I was born in the 80s and find it surprising that the show seems to emphasize how both women and men were more open to engaging in relationships with married people etc. without much guilt. I just began watching the show and find it fascinating!

At least for me growing up it was not the case so I find it rather eye opening. TIA!!  I'm not criticizing or being judgemental. I'm a researcher so I'm naturally interested in hearing from real people from that time since it's not my area. Many thanks.

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

I am sure you will get an earfull from a lot of women of that era, me included.

There were NO ......uh "personal" harassment laws, and men could get away with just about anything in the office.    Trapping you in an elevator......pushing the emergency stop, and shutting the lights off............cornering you in a stairwell..........and the list goes on.   

It's ONE of the reasons I became a feminist.....or in those days, "Women's Libber"..................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

There were NO ......uh "personal" harassment laws, and men could get away with just about anything in the office.    Trapping you in an elevator......pushing the emergency stop, and shutting the lights off............cornering you in a stairwell..........and the list goes on.   

It's ONE of the reasons I became a feminist.....or in those days, "Women's Libber"..................

@Desertdi  Thanks so much for your post. I really appreciate it. WOW... I had an idea about it due to articles I've read in the many gender classes I've taken but it's a different story hearing it from someone who lived through it. I'm a feminist myself. This is why I'm having a bit of a hard time believing that women were seemingly so nonchalant as portrayed in the show. IMO this show seems to be written by men for men .....

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

@NycVixen    Let me tell ya...........I was even followed into the ladies' restroom.............and complaints did no good, because the HR ("personnel" departments) at that time were run by MEN......who flat-out laughed, and said "you should be flattered".............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Yes, it is very accurate.  It was an era of birth control pills and women's liberation.  This was right around the time of the hippie/yippie stage where "free love" was lived by many women.  Men in the office were exactly as portrayed in Mad Men.  They drank like fishes, smoked constantly, and pretty much felt like women were just made to be secretaries and at their beck and call.  I was an admin. secretary in the late sixties.  The one thing I did enjoy was that there was no sensitivity with every joke that was made.  I loved the risque humor, as long as I knew how it was meant, the kidding around, etc.  Women handled any inappropriate actions themselves, there were no lawsuits.  It was a fascinating time and I loved growing up in the sixties.   But I have to say one thing, I worked on Wall St. and let me tell you, those men went after anything that moved!  But we women, at that time, knew how to handle them.  Also, a lot of women at that time were housewives and here the men were surrounded by attractive, young women, so yes, there was quite a bit of "fooling around" especially at the Christmas parties.

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@NycVixen    Let me tell ya...........I was even followed into the ladies' restroom.............and complaints did no good, because the HR ("personnel" departments) at that time were run by MEN......who flat-out laughed, and said "you should be flattered".............

OMG!!!!!!!!  I'm so upset to hear this @Desertdi. When I was a younger I had a job and my male supervisor walked into the women's bathroom to tell me my break was over. I was livid. he told me he could come into the bathroom anytime he wanted.  I was working for a contractor in a building that housed a big company. I went to HR manager and she said, "Oh no he can't. I also go in there and so do the other women from the company. Let me handle this". 

They opened a big investigation. A three person panel came to ask me questions since it could be a sexual harassment case. They flat out asked me if I felt sexually harassed. I told the truth that I did not. In all honesty, the supervisor was a real stickler for how long we all took on our breaks and if were were on time and I think he just went overboard. He kept his job. But if I was someone else he would of been fired. I couldn't live with myself if I had lied. 

But due to how many women such as yourself suffered unchecked sexual harassment is why I had laws to protect me. I'm sorry you and so many other women had to go through that. 

~Live with Intention~
Respected Contributor

@loveour4leggedfriends wrote:

Yes, it is very accurate.  It was an era of birth control pills and women's liberation.  This was right around the time of the hippie/yippie stage where "free love" was lived by many women.  Men in the office were exactly as portrayed in Mad Men.  They drank like fishes, smoked constantly, and pretty much felt like women were just made to be secretaries and at their beck and call.  I was an admin. secretary in the late sixties.  The one thing I did enjoy was that there was no sensitivity with every joke that was made.  I loved the risque humor, as long as I knew how it was meant, the kidding around, etc.  Women handled any inappropriate actions themselves, there were no lawsuits.  It was a fascinating time and I loved growing up in the sixties.   But I have to say one thing, I worked on Wall St. and let me tell you, those men went after anything that moved!  But we women, at that time, knew how to handle them.  Also, a lot of women at that time were housewives and here the men were surrounded by attractive, young women, so yes, there was quite a bit of "fooling around" especially at the Christmas parties.

@lovesallanimals  Thanks so much for your fascinating response as well!! I can talk to all of you all night!!! 

My husband was the one who put me on to the show and I've been feeling quite uncomfortable thinking that women were being misrepresented. I think that I will be able to let that go now, really enjoy the show and learn a lot. I think the reason I feel that way is because I grew up during a time when AIDS just came about so I've never been able to feel liberated in the sense portrayed on the show and in your post. 

I did know that the birth control pill was a seismic shift for women but I had no idea until I saw the show that moral norms were so different than in my time. I thought the 'free love' was only in the 70s not the 60s. 

Thanks again! It's so fascinating!!

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

In my office, there were a number of divorced women, and also VN war widows, and women whose husbands were still in the service.    We were fair game because these lecherous types thought we were "lonely".    This was a Fortune 100 company in Chicago.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

desertDi, I for one appreciate what you and all the other feminists of the era did to pave the way for the rest of us. I was born in 1961, didn't work in an office until 79 or 80 and things were much different then. I don't think the young women today realize the groundwork that went before them. I also think some young women are taking us a step backward but that's another thread.

Esteemed Contributor

DaisyK - I'm the same age and you and I totally agree with you! Too many folks (both men and women) take such progress for granted in the workplace today. I'm very glad to be working in a corporation today rather than 50 years ago!