Respected Contributor

Netflix and other streaming channels pay for the ability to broadcast tv series for a limited amount of time. 
Once that period is up, they no can no longer air the series.

Respected Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@Bridgegal  Thanks.  I looked...$6.99 a season. Doesn't seem fair.  I have prime. It's like having cable and paying again to watch some shows. 

eta...I downloaded an episode from Netflix. Does anyone know if that will be snatched back tomorrow when the series is pulled from Netflix?

Oh, bummer.  I see what you mean.  I will say , it's worth it.  You might pay for season one and decide if you want to go on.  

Respected Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@Bridgegal  Thanks.  I looked...$6.99 a season. Doesn't seem fair.  I have prime. It's like having cable and paying again to watch some shows. 

eta...I downloaded an episode from Netflix. Does anyone know if that will be snatched back tomorrow when the series is pulled from Netflix?

Oh, bummer.  I see what you mean.  I will say , it's worth it.  You might pay for season one and decide if you want to go on.  

I just started streaming a couple of months ago.  Love Netflix and was planning to watch Mad Men.  So i am still in free trial period for Prime.  Ridiculous i think they are charging at all much less that much.  I commented within Prime.  I got a long rambling message from their customer service about needing more information and give us your tele number so we can call and you don't email us repeatedly.  Like i was going to give that nutjob my #. So i forwarded their rude message to Jeff Bezos.  Hopefully he has a smarter customer service team.  Watching all 7 seasons would cost $45.  Prime costs $119 including delivery and Streaming. Ridiculous to pay more for a series that has ended.

Honored Contributor

I loved Mad Men!

I started my working career in the 70s, so much of the series is authentic to the times.

I miss all the drinking & smoking on the job!!

We ate out for lunch often, also had a drink at lunch.

One day one of the "girls" had too much, someone took her home & we covered for her the rest of the afternoon.   Anyone who looked for her was told, she must be in the vault, or maybe in the bathroom etc etc.

Good times!

Esteemed Contributor

@software 

Off topic, but....

I started my career in 1969, and yes, it was as portrayed.  

My first job was working at the Missouri Athletic Club in St. Louis (still around)....all men.  My bosses were ancient, and, I'm sure I was hired because I was young and pretty.

It was an accounting job, but I had zero experience in such work.  Admittedly, I was a quick study, but it was still not my skill set.  I managed to NOT get firedCat LOL

However, I was told by my boss one day to not wear miniskirts as they were a distraction for the members, especially, when I was going up the steps from the main lobby.  Can you imagine?

We also drank at lunch sometimes, and almost always after work.  Many cocktail lounges in the area were favorite haunts.

Yikes!  Not bragging, but happy I lived to tell about it.

And, yes, it was fun at the time!

Esteemed Contributor

I ended up buying season 3 thru prime...$6.99. I rationalized it this way...with my Netflix DVD plan ( 2/month, 1 at a time, $4.99--they don't "sell" this one anymore), assuming each season is 3 discs, the entire season would go two months x $4.99 = $9.98. 

It's very likely I'll do the same with seasons 4 thru 7. I streamed the first two seasons on Netflix. Not sure I'll buy them. Much as I like the series, I doubt I'll watch all of it twice. 

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

I loved Man Men!  I was starting out as a secretary in the early '70s and it was exactly as depicted on Mad Men.  I worked on Wall Street, we worked very hard, then we all went out to Harry's on Hanover Square afterwards.  This is where all the brokers and bankers went.  We drank and laughed and had a great time.  We all fllirted, heard dirty jokes and it was all so innocent and in good fun.  I remember leaving a temp. job to go to a new start up company, also on Wall Street.  Well one night me a and girlfriend were having a drink near the office when my new boss walks in with a very young blond, who we knew was definitely not his wife!  We just nodded to each other as he passed out table.  Well, there really was not much to do at this new company and the place where I was a temp. got permission to hire me as a permanent secy. Now hang in there - the personnel agency wanted $250 because I was leaving this new job.  That was a lot of money for me at that time and I did not have it.  So I went to my boss and told him the situation.  He said not to worry, he knew the head of the agency and it would be taken care of and he did not blame me for wanting the other job.  Like magic, the fee was gone and I bought him a large bottle of his favorite scotch as a thank you.  It was an understanding that because I kept my mouth shut, was very discreet and minded my own business when I saw him that night, it was his way of thanking me.  I miss those days!!!!!!

Super Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

I never understand shows leaving Netflix. Where are they going to go? 

Mad Men was a fantastic series. I guess I won't be able to rewatch it. 

Good point. Maybe it will be back...I loved it when it originally aired, but it's a "mood." Wasn't ready to revisit when it was on Netflix, so hoping it will cycle through again.

Honored Contributor

Oh yes!

Never been told not to wear mini skirts but I often was asked if I was on birth control!

We almost always went to  a Happy Hour after work.

I am an only child, raised by overbearing parents.   

Never able to do anything until I graduated & moved away.

I had all my fun in my 20s and I would do it all again if I could.

I was not married, didn't have children.   It was just me & I made the most of it!

Honey, you & I could dish for hours!

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@software 

Off topic, but....

I started my career in 1969, and yes, it was as portrayed.  

My first job was working at the Missouri Athletic Club in St. Louis (still around)....all men.  My bosses were ancient, and, I'm sure I was hired because I was young and pretty.

It was an accounting job, but I had zero experience in such work.  Admittedly, I was a quick study, but it was still not my skill set.  I managed to NOT get firedCat LOL

However, I was told by my boss one day to not wear miniskirts as they were a distraction for the members, especially, when I was going up the steps from the main lobby.  Can you imagine?

We also drank at lunch sometimes, and almost always after work.  Many cocktail lounges in the area were favorite haunts.

Yikes!  Not bragging, but happy I lived to tell about it.

And, yes, it was fun at the time!

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesallanimals wrote:

I loved Man Men!  I was starting out as a secretary in the early '70s and it was exactly as depicted on Mad Men.  I worked on Wall Street, we worked very hard, then we all went out to Harry's on Hanover Square afterwards.  This is where all the brokers and bankers went.  We drank and laughed and had a great time.  We all fllirted, heard dirty jokes and it was all so innocent and in good fun.  I remember leaving a temp. job to go to a new start up company, also on Wall Street.  Well one night me a and girlfriend were having a drink near the office when my new boss walks in with a very young blond, who we knew was definitely not his wife!  We just nodded to each other as he passed out table.  Well, there really was not much to do at this new company and the place where I was a temp. got permission to hire me as a permanent secy. Now hang in there - the personnel agency wanted $250 because I was leaving this new job.  That was a lot of money for me at that time and I did not have it.  So I went to my boss and told him the situation.  He said not to worry, he knew the head of the agency and it would be taken care of and he did not blame me for wanting the other job.  Like magic, the fee was gone and I bought him a large bottle of his favorite scotch as a thank you.  It was an understanding that because I kept my mouth shut, was very discreet and minded my own business when I saw him that night, it was his way of thanking me.  I miss those days!!!!!!

@lovesallanimals  Ah...the days when even young women were mature adults.

Keepin' it real.