Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mad Men and The Good Wife.

I never got in to the Good Wife, but I was a huge fan of Mad Men. The best part is that I did not watch the show while it was on TV, until the last year. I just never made time for the show. During it's last season there was a marathon and I DVR'd all of the shows and binged watch over a few weeks. I was addicted.  One of the reasons that I loved it so much besides the Drama/storyline was that people dressed for work. They just always looked sharp.They cared about their appearance.   I love a well dressed man.

Honored Contributor

It's the opposite for me.  I have spent much of my life working in healthcare and I stay far, very very far away from medical dramas because they are so ridiculously fake.  I can't get into the actual stories because I get hung up on the fake medical stuff.  

Respected Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

I never got in to the Good Wife, but I was a huge fan of Mad Men. The best part is that I did not watch the show while it was on TV, until the last year. I just never made time for the show. During it's last season there was a marathon and I DVR'd all of the shows and binged watch over a few weeks. I was addicted.  One of the reasons that I loved it so much besides the Drama/storyline was that people dressed for work. They just always looked sharp.They cared about their appearance.   I love a well dressed man.

icezeus:  One of the reasons that I loved it so much besides the Drama/storyline was that people dressed for work. They just always looked sharp.They cared about their appearance.   I love a well dressed man.

Yes, you are so right!  Not only the men but the women also.  Everyone dressed beautifully.  I always wore a skirt suit, or a dress, high heels, make-up, some jewelry.  The time they created dress down fridays, which became dress down all week,  was just about the time I retired.  Everyone started looking like slobs, women were coming to work in sweat suits -OMG- I hated it.  The other day, I was buying the papers in the morning and I almost fainted when a man came in with a suit and tie. I did a double take and he noticed me looking at him so I said "Wow, it is so nice to see a man in a suit and tie, you look great!"  He smiled and thanked me and said "I know what you mean, most of the people I work with dress down, but I won't do it."  He was a young guy maybe in his early thirties.

And don't even get me started on how people dress at airports, the theatre,  high end restaurants, etc.

I don't know what got me going, I got up at 1:00 am, my turkey is still half frozen, so I am soaking it in the sink (wrapped up and sealed of course) in some ice water to defrost.  Cannot go back to sleep so I am eating a pint of Hagan Daz raisin/rum ice cream.

Wishing everyone a great Turkey Day!!! 

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesallanimals

I had to laugh at your reply. It summed up my feelings 100%. I am only 50 years old but I was raised by my grandmother. She always took pride in her appearance and how we looked no matter how little we had.

A few years back there was a trend out here in California where you would see teenagers in the middle of the day in the supermarket or wherever in their pajamas. (Kill me now) It was a hideous look and sometimes I would almost roll my eyes outside of my head.

I remember at my last job my Director called me into his office to talk to me. I sit down and he tells me that he needs to ask me a favor. Of course how can I help you. He wanted me to speak with one of my female peers about how she came dressed to work and speak to another manager as well. Ummmm.. No. That is not my job. I guess he was feeling uncomfortable because he was a male and these were females. 

I will stop now. I can tell that I am getting warmed up to my topic. LOL!

Happy Thanksgiving.

Respected Contributor

icezeus:  I know, once I get started I also can't stop!  Have a great Turkey Day!  Looking like slobs and rudeness are my two major peeves.

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesallanimals

@loveour4leggedfriends wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

icezeus:  One of the reasons that I loved it so much besides the Drama/storyline was that people dressed for work. They just always looked sharp.They cared about their appearance.   I love a well dressed man.

Yes, you are so right!  Not only the men but the women also.  Everyone dressed beautifully.  I always wore a skirt suit, or a dress, high heels, make-up, some jewelry.  The time they created dress down fridays, which became dress down all week,  was just about the time I retired.  Everyone started looking like slobs, women were coming to work in sweat suits -OMG- I hated it.  The other day, I was buying the papers in the morning and I almost fainted when a man came in with a suit and tie. I did a double take and he noticed me looking at him so I said "Wow, it is so nice to see a man in a suit and tie, you look great!"  He smiled and thanked me and said "I know what you mean, most of the people I work with dress down, but I won't do it."  He was a young guy maybe in his early thirties.

And don't even get me started on how people dress at airports, the theatre,  high end restaurants, etc.

I don't know what got me going, I got up at 1:00 am, my turkey is still half frozen, so I am soaking it in the sink (wrapped up and sealed of course) in some ice water to defrost.  Cannot go back to sleep so I am eating a pint of Hagan Daz raisin/rum ice cream.

Wishing everyone a great Turkey Day!!! 

ITA with everything you said about dress and suits.  I started working in insurance in 1954,and nothing like today.we really dressed nice.  When I worked in the bank, very professional, everyone dressed sharp. 

We  told jokes, pass around Frediricks of Hollywood catalog,smoked at work at our desk, drank a martini at lunch, passed love notes to the guy that caught our eye. Got caught and got transferred, but by then we were engaged. One day. I had to take  a driver's test on my lunch hour, three of the girls came with me.  I had been driving without a license.  On the way back to the office one of the girls told a funny joke and I laugh so hard I had an accident.  They covered forme while I drove home, showered and went back to work.  We were silly20 year old.  Our goal then was marriage and family, not a career.  How foolish. We were told, find a man to take care of you and raise a family.  Someone was getting married every weekend.  I tell my great grandchildren and told my grandchildren girls, get that Masters degree in the field you find interesting and pursue that first, so you can take care of yourself, and marriage and family are icing on the cake.  I don,t regret the path I took looking back, but would not do the same today.  Yet work back in the stone age was fun.  Wow today, it,s a mine field.