Frequent Contributor

Re: Macy's Christmas Parade - Kind of Peeved

@occasionalrain wrote:

I just want to watch the parade, any parade. It's a preformance not a documentary. If I attend a play, I don't want someone interrupting with  information about the actors during it. I don't care how many flowers are on a float or the number of hours spent constructing it. I don't  want phoney enthusiasm from commentators, it detracts and adds nothing.

Are you new to this TV parade watching venue?  Of course the commentators have to talk about something as the parade creeps by.  Do you expect it just to be radio silent?  They have to talk about something, no?

And as far as phoney enthusiasm, would you rather they be a Debbie Downer with a sourpuss on their face?  If they didn't talk about something, they are going to have a lot of dead air time in between floats passing by.

Respected Contributor

I didn't watch but read pop band Fitz and the Tantrums performed "Moneymaker" (which features the repeated lyric "shake your money maker") on the giant LEGO float at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.  The performance and song choice, in front of children, sparked lots of criticism online.. 

Honored Contributor

@BarbieDollToo 

Parades aren't silent, there are bands and  music on floats and productions in the street. There is no need for commentators at all. People lining the parade route seem to enjoy the experience without inane commentator chat.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

???   Do you mean the Thanksgiving Day parade?   

I thought the Christmas parade happens on December 25th.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SoCal Bred wrote:

I was busy in the kitchen but was glad to catch when the Rockettes performed, fantastic as always.

was Jane's  daughter in the Rockettes performance?  She is always talking about her daughter dancing with them.

@SeaMaiden She does CONSTANTLY talk about her daughters, which is one reason I rarely watch JT.  I never heard her mention one or both of her daughters dancing with the Rockettes, but again, I avoid Jane.  I do highly doubt that either one actually is a Rockette, but I could be wrong.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

@Puppy Lips  Cara is performing in Media Theater's Sound of Music & Dierdre is performing in Candlelight Theater's White Christmas.  

Esteemed Contributor

@colleena wrote:

@Puppy Lips  Cara is performing in Media Theater's Sound of Music & Dierdre is performing in Candlelight Theater's White Christmas.  

@colleena Well I am sure those who watch JT will hear all about it.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

I grew up just outside of NYC & saw the Macy's parade in person several times in the 60s.    Also saw it in  person when my DD marched with her high school band.    The parade itself is very commercialized, for a reason.   It's to get everyone in the spirit of Christmas, in other words, shopping.  Honestly it just doesn't translate well  on TV.   NYC is magical at Christmas time, which starts right after Thanksgiving dinner.

The one I like is the Tournament of Roses parade.   The hosts give some history of each float, lots of background videos too.  My DD marched in that one as well but I wasn't able to go.

A few years ago the Donate Life float had flowers in memory of loved ones with their names, who were donors. I had a flower on there with my son Patrick's name on it. It gave me the chills to see that huge beautiful float, laden with meaning and emotions. 

Harmonize the World
Super Contributor

Same with the Philadelphia Thanksgiving So Called Parade.  All about the so called want to be's and not about     the parade participants. I grew up in the Delaware Valley and bands from the area of Philly, Jersey and Delaware and all the schools would participate.  It was wonderful.  Santa not given what he deserves especially for the children and children at heart.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kaydee50wrote:

I usually record the parade and skip the commercials.

Agree about Carey. And it was supposed to be a most popular Christmas song. I'd never heard it before.

Agree about the Rockettes. The show at the Music Hall is a must see.

And my personal recommendation having gone to the parade in person a few times. Have to see it live to appreciate those balloons coming down the avenue. Awesome!!!

@kaydee50

Wow, it seems that her song All I Want For Christmas Is You, is popular because it's one of the few 5 songs that's constantly played.over and over again ( cant believeyou haven't heard it yet)....This song along with Wham--- This Christmas, Paul McCartney--Having A Wonderful Christmas Time, John Lennon---War Is Over..IS OVERKILL, OVERKILL, OVERKILL---😖..Once in a while they'll throw in Jingle Bell Rock, Santa Baby, and Holly Jolly Christmas---

And that's the usual Playlist.....So many wonderful Christmas songs are forgotten......Mariah is in the forefront of Christmas music only because it's one of the few songs played anymore.......She's certainly NOT The Queen of Christmas just a Diva in her own mind....🥱😴

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”