Respected Contributor

Re: Macy's Christmas Parade - Kind of Peeved

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@Bookplate wrote:

I didn't watch but it sounds like the fault of the network that broadcast the parade rather than the parade itself.

This was also my thought.

I must have been watching on another network.  I didn't think Santa was slighted at all.

The parade only lasts about 45 minutes.  The have to fill 3 hours of broadast time somehow.

Trusted Contributor

It is called the " Thanksgiving  Day  Parade".

Respected Contributor

@Magny wrote:

@Magny 

Thank you for the clarification. 

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@Bookplate wrote:

I didn't watch but it sounds like the fault of the network that broadcast the parade rather than the parade itself.

Me neither full of hot air.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for all of your comments!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Magny wrote:

@Magny   We know this but thank you for the reminder.

Look up the history of the parade-the first one was held by employees of Macy's to introduce Santa-and he had a special place to sit at the end of the parade.

It was so popular that it became a tradition.

In the end, with all the entertainment, it is still the way to introduce Santa to start the next holiday season.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@SoCal Bred wrote:

I was busy in the kitchen but was glad to catch when the Rockettes performed, fantastic as always.

was Jane's  daughter in the Rockettes performance?  She is always talking about her daughter dancing with them.

Honored Contributor

I grew up just outside of NYC & saw the Macy's parade in person several times in the 60s.    Also saw it in  person when my DD marched with her high school band.    The parade itself is very commercialized, for a reason.   It's to get everyone in the spirit of Christmas, in other words, shopping.  Honestly it just doesn't translate well  on TV.   NYC is magical at Christmas time, which starts right after Thanksgiving dinner.

The one I like is the Tournament of Roses parade.   The hosts give some history of each float, lots of background videos too.  My DD marched in that one as well but I wasn't able to go.

Honored Contributor

Why is it Mariah Carey's fault tat you were disappointed OP? Blame the powers that be who staged her performance! And how do you know what she feels?

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

I just want to watch the parade, any parade. It's a preformance not a documentary. If I attend a play, I don't want someone interrupting with  information about the actors during it. I don't care how many flowers are on a float or the number of hours spent constructing it. I don't  want phoney enthusiasm from commentators, it detracts and adds nothing.