Trusted Contributor

Re: MY REPUTATION BARBARA STANWYCK GEORGE BRENT THURSDAY 2:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

This is surely a favorite of mine. Love everything about this movie! What is not to love about George Brent opposite Barbara Stanwyck? Not to mention having Eve Arden for a a good friend! Pure enjoyment! My recorder is set and may keep this one for a while in my stash! 

Honored Contributor

I got home in time to see this in "real time" today, and enjoyed it all again, especially the cozy cabin and Tahoe scenes.  A couple of things that bothered me the first time around, were more glaring this time.

One, they had comic sidekick 'extraordinaire' in talented Eve Arden, yet they didn't make the most of her gifts.  She can be so sardonic and hilarious, even in her inevitable "second banana" roles.  But here, the "best chum" role was bland, at best.  However in all her films for Warner Brothers, she was often underused.  A shame!

Two, adorable Geroge Brent's role seemed a little under-written.  He was supposed to be a devil-may-care batchelor who just wanted a fling with a comely widow, but instead of showing his character development away from that position gradually, as he came to truly love Babs, his transformation seemed rather sudden, to me at least.

Ah well.  Probably nobody agrees with these quibbles.  And Stanwyck was fab, as always!   

Honored Contributor

Oznell - I was curious, so I looked it up. George Brent made 5 movies in 1946. I wonder if he was working on more than one movie at a time.

My Reputation was released January 26, 1946. George Brent's next movie, Spiral Staircase was released February 7, 1946.

Honored Contributor

Wow, @drizzellla ,  that's a lot of movies!  They really worked their "big draws" in films in those days, and no doubt Brent's popularity was as high as ever...