Honored Contributor

MY ONE OBJECTION TO TCM'S OSCAR MONTH SCHEDULE...

[ Edited ]

The problem is the perennial one for classic film channels, I suppose, only intensified.   It's the repetition!  During Oscar month (February) they are often showing movies that they may have shown only a few weeks ago... Tomorrow's schedule seems a victim of this, maybe...

That said, I'll point out one of my oft-seen favorites coming on in the wee hours, ha:

"Key Largo"  3:30 a.m. Eastern Sunday.   Bogey, Lauren Bacall ( so lovely in her south Florida blouses and graceful skirts), the irreplaceable Edward G. Robinson, Lionel Barrymore, and one of my fave film noir greats, soulful Claire Trevor, who never gives a less-than-interesting performance.

If you are a devotee, but don't have it in your library, a good opportunity to record...

Edited to add-- Good grief, it's 3:30 a.m. SUNDAY, not Saturday. Correction made.  This Oscar month has me more bolluxed up than usual!

Honored Contributor

Re: MY ONE OBJECTION TO TCM'S OSCAR MONTH SCHEDULE...

Yes, it sometimes can get somewhat repetitive.  You would think TCM would not show any of the movies they plan to air during 30 days of Oscar for at least a month before the 30 days start.

Having said that I don't get tired of watching Key Largo and the movie prior to it Treasure of the Sierra Madre.  Both have great performances by all concerned.

Honored Contributor

Right on all counts, @kaydee50!

Valued Contributor

Yes. We watch a lot of TCM and wish they would add some new titles to the offerings. I mean there are some films from the 80’s and 90’s that maybe have stood up to the test of time. Time to update the definition of classic.
Respected Contributor

Never tire of Key Largo. A favorite. As my father used to say there all your favorites. Not really. Well maybe.
Honored Contributor

@birdQ13 wrote:
Yes. We watch a lot of TCM and wish they would add some new titles to the offerings. I mean there are some films from the 80’s and 90’s that maybe have stood up to the test of time. Time to update the definition of classic.

I looked at the 30 Days of Oscars list and they have not added much in the last 20 years.

Most of this is due to the fact that we now have Amazon and Netflix and all these other services that contract for the movie rights.  I'm guessing TCM doesn't want to pay for new content.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@Oznell 

Here's one you might not have seen-TCM- Eskimo-2-4 am Eastern time

Esteemed Contributor

Just started watching Key Largo ... 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do not think it is repetive at all.  They have actually shown movies I have never seen such as Madeleine by David Lean.  

There were several that I was looking for that were not being shown this month.

Gone With the Wind, High Noon, Lion in Winter and a couple of others.  I usually record some of the movies and watch them later at my leisure.

The other day I had recorded A Man for All Seasons.  I had only seen it once in the theaters in the 60's.  Needless to say I thought it was quite good.

Honored Contributor

Right you are, @Justice4all,  "Eskimo" is one I haven't seen, and doesn't seem to be on their loop very often!  It sounds pretty interesting....