Highlighted
Honored Contributor

MY FAVORITE FILM NOIR OF ALL TIME, MONDAY, 8:00 P.M. EASTERN, TCM

8:00 p.m. Eastern--  "The Big Heat"  Glenn Ford, Gloria Grahame, Alexander Scourby, Jocelyn Brando, Lee Marvin

OK, it's the familiar, landmark Fritz Lang-directed "The Big Heat".  I'm always yammering about it.   Doesn't matter how often it's aired, it's an event and packs a wallop (she declared confidently!)

The passionate but tightly leashed police detective (Ford), on a quest to bring down his city's smooth but murderous crime boss (Scourby)-- I find that policeman endlessly complex and interesting.  Ford's best role-- it played to something deep in his persona, I believe.

16919521_3.jpg

Gloria Grahame's coarse, wistful, child-like moll, Lee Marvin's almost casual brutality, Jocelyn Brando's poignant sprite-like wife to Ford, Jeannette Nolan as her opposite number, the amoral, grasping wife of another policeman-- it's a deft graffitti-scrawl of quirky humanity.  The clean, pared-down, almost Spartan sets and cinematography, the terse dialogue with multiple meanings--  all perfectly further director Lang's singular vision of this corrupted urban universe.

Watch for slinky, almost unrecognizably blonde Carolyn Jones in a small part as a bar patron Lee Marvin menaces...

Lee Marvin must have had such an impact when he first hit films, with that maverick quality and that vocal growl:

Jeannette Nolan is one cool cookie in this:

There are always so many levels, nuances and characters to notice with each viewing of this master work.   Love director Fritz Lang!

big-heat-the-1953-004-glenn-ford-behind-fence-00m-qd9.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Re: MY FAVORITE FILM NOIR OF ALL TIME, MONDAY, 8:00 P.M. EASTERN, TCM

Thank you @Oznell .

You are my North Star of TCM goodies!

DVR set.

Esteemed Contributor

Great film. I’ll be watching it tonight. Thanks for the info. I’ve introduced my husband to film noir and he is really enjoying these movies.

Trusted Contributor

Wow, what a review!  

A long, long time ago, I took a fun course on old movies at a local community college.  He would have us salivating for each particular movie.  You sound just like our teacher!  Woman LOL

Always love reading your thoughts on those great, old movies.

Respected Contributor

"Gloria Grahame's coarse, wistful, child-like moll, Lee Marvin's almost casual brutality, Jocelyn Brando's poignant sprite-like wife to Ford, Jeannette Nolan as her opposite number, the amoral, grasping wife of another policeman-- it's a deft graffitti-scrawl of quirky humanity.  The clean, pared-down, almost Spartan sets and cinematography, the terse dialogue with multiple meanings--  all perfectly further director Lang's singular vision of this corrupted urban universe."

@Oznell Wow! 

As @Chicagosuburbangirl  said:  "You are my North Star of TCM goodies!"

Esteemed Contributor

I don't believe I've ever seen this movie, so I'll be sure to set my recorder!  I adore the ever handsome Glenn Ford.  

Honored Contributor

Glenn Ford is TCM's Star of the Month. So they are starting off with a goodie.

Thanks for your review, Oznell.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @Chicagosurburbangirl, @roeroe1005, and @alliswell-- kind words. 

And film noir gang, this will be a party!  I think your husband will enjoy, @Vivian-- this one always strikes me as equally appealing to men and women... 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have two - 'Ship of Fools' with the young very handsome Oscar Werner.

The other is my very fav love story 'Jane Eyre'. Brings tears every time.

Respected Contributor

Great analysis as always. One of my favs also. An 

iconic movie. Thanks so much for your posts. They are 

greatly appreciated.