Super Contributor

MR. SELFRIDGE - S2 Starts March 30th - PBS

Get Your First Look at ‘Mr. Selfridge’ Series 2: Coming to PBS in March 2014

Saturday, November 16, 2013
by Lacy Baugher

Period drama Mr. Selfridge will return next year, and ITV has helpfully given us a first look at Series 2 with a brand new trailer that should do a lot more than pique your interest in where the story is going.

The drama’s second season will consist of ten episodes, and the story will be set in 1914, during the onset of the First World War. Yes, this does mean that we’re jumping ahead five years from where we left things in the Series 1 finale, so possibly you should start preparing yourself now for what are surely going to be a few dropped plot threads.

/><br/> Mr. Seflridge is ready for us to shop again.<br/> (Photo: Courtesy of © Christian Black/ITV Studios for MASTERPIECE)<br/> <br/> However, if this clip is anything to go by, there’s still going to be plenty of drama going on, even five years into the future. The jazzy, dramatic promo clues us in to the series’ time jump, shows off the new looks of all our favorite characters, and gives us a quick glimpse of some new faces from around the store the store, all set to a Patented Selfridge Pep Talk voiceover. (It might be a bit odd, but I think I’ve actually kind of missed that.)</p> <p>Watch for yourselves below:<br/> <span id= http://blogs.weta.org/tellyvisions/2013/11/16/get-your-first-look-mr-selfridge-series-2-coming-pbs-...

Miss Mardle is actually flirting with someone! Kitty has an amazing hairdo! Henri still looks incredibly dreamy! Agnes is crying! Lady Mae looks angsty! Unfortunately, Mr. Grove appears to still exist! Plus, there’s the whole problem of the impending war. There is clearly going to be a lot going on in Series 2.

Mr. Selfridge will re-open for business in 2014 on both sides of the pond. No UK airdate has been set yet, but if the pattern from 2013 holds, it will probably start early in the New Year, following the Downton Abbey Christmas special. The shopping drama will return to PBS stations on Masterpiece Classic, beginning Sunday, March 30, so mark your calendars now.

If you need a refresher on any of the plot twists, a reminder why Henri is the best thing going, or just a place to vent about how frustrating Harry’s entire existence is, you can find our Series 1 recaps here.

Regular Contributor

Re: MR. SELFRIDGE - S2 Starts March 30th - PBS

I saw a lot of press about this that a lot of people didn't like it but I did so I am glad it's coming back for another season. I am getting caught up on a lot of old stuff I taped & am in the middle of a series called Last Tango in Hallifax & I love it.

Super Contributor

Can't wait,
Esteemed Contributor

Looking forward to this returning.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/20/2014 GOLDEN KAREN said:

I saw a lot of press about this that a lot of people didn't like it but I did so I am glad it's coming back for another season. I am getting caught up on a lot of old stuff I taped & am in the middle of a series called Last Tango in Hallifax & I love it.

I'm one of the ones who didn't like it. I thought the acting, particularly Jeremy Pivens, and writing were dreadful.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Occasional Contributor

I'm watching it now on my Kindle. Didn't think I'd like it, but I really do. Loved The Paradise, so maybe I'll try Last Tango next. Call The Midwife's coming back, Downton is on now...life is good. Love the BBC shows.
Regular Contributor

On 1/20/2014 gardenia said: I'm watching it now on my Kindle. Didn't think I'd like it, but I really do. Loved The Paradise, so maybe I'll try Last Tango next. Call The Midwife's coming back, Downton is on now...life is good. Love the BBC shows.

I think I taped the Paradise but haven't got to it yet. Last Tango in Halifax is great (I think I've seen 2 episodes so far) - I love the BBC shows too!

Trusted Contributor

I'm starting to get the characters from Mr. Selfridge mixed up with the characters from The Paradise. I've enjoyed both these shows from the beginning, but I agree with Adelle about Jeremy Pivens--I find his overacting annoying. I like The Paradise better.

Super Contributor

You share the opinion with so many others, Vamp, who couldn't embrace Mr. Selfridge, due to what they believed was Jeremy Pivens' egregious over-acting. The real life Harry Selfridge was a shameless self-promoter. He was bombastic, flamboyant and larger-than-life. From what I've read, Selfridge and P.T. Barnum were in the same league. If anything, Piven reined it in and toned it down for this small screen performance.

Last November, PBS aired a documentary, Secrets of Selfridges, about the real man behind the store that revolutionized retail in the United Kingdom. For all the flashy exterior and grandiose gestures, he was a very sad and lonely man, with a gambling addiction that impacted his life severely and threatened the store's very survival. I urge you to see it when PBS repeats it.
http://community.qvc.com/forums/tv/topic/413824/secrets-of-selfridges-sun-nov-3rd-8-pm-et.aspx