Super Contributor

MOTIVE: S2 Ratings; S3 U.S. Renewal TBA

The ratings for the first season of Motive weren’t very good but ABC renewed it anyway (in part because they license it from Canada so it’s cheaper). Will they want a third season or will the series be cancelled instead? Stay tuned!

Motive revolves around a strong-willed Vancouver detective (Kristin Lehman) who’s also a single mom. At the start of each episode, viewers are shown the killer and victims. As the criminal investigation progresses, details of what led to the crime are revealed via flashbacks. The rest of the cast includes Louis Ferreira, Lauren Holly, Roger Cross, Brendan Penny, and Cameron Bright.

The ratings are typically the best indication of a show’s likelihood of staying on the air. The higher the ratings (particularly the 18-49 demo), the better the chances for survival. This chart will be updated as new ratings data becomes available — usually the next day, around 11:30am EST/8:30am PST. Refresh to see the latest.

How are your shows doing? Check the season rankings: ABC | CBS | The CW |FOX | NBC

5/29 update: The show has been renewed for a third season in Canada.

Final season averages: 0.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.07 million total viewers.

(Source: tvseriesfinale.com - Published: August 28, 2014)

Esteemed Contributor

Re: MOTIVE: S2 Ratings; S3 U.S. Renewal TBA

Whoa - wait a second - KERI!! Seems like I haven't "seen" you in a while! Nice it see your name, now that the new television season is starting.
Honored Contributor

Wow! Thanks keri. I haven't noticed you posting before. You come on here with a bang (in a very good way) Smiley Happy

That's good to know. I will look up the ratings of my favorite shows. I have a feeling that it seems like when I like a show and watch it, it's the 'kiss of death for the show'.

Esteemed Contributor

Love Motive. Hope it is renewed for the US.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

I love the show too Mama. It's something different.

Honored Contributor

I'm very pleased to hear it's been renewed.

Honored Contributor

I hope other people start watching it. It makes me nervous that the viewing numbers are pretty low.

What are people watching? Some of those shows are so ignorant, I have to wonder.

Super Contributor

On 9/5/2014 SydneyH said:

I'm very pleased to hear it's been renewed.

That renewal was for Canada. A decision from ABC is pending regarding a third season in the U.S. Why not? Even if the ratings are low, there's just a licensing fee but no production costs involved for ABC.
Honored Contributor

keri, that's exactly what I read. Still, it is a major network. Good for them anyway. We'll take it any way we can get it.

One of my absolute favorites cable show's "Banshee" had low ratings (still aren't the greatest) but it keeps on keeping on. I'll take what I can get!

It seems like if I like it, it doesn't get renewed! I'm beginning to get a complex.

Honored Contributor

I watched it and they deserved the low ratings. Overacting, bad casting, and poor writing aren't likely to draw an audience.