Honored Contributor

MONDAY IS ANN SOTHERN DAY ON TCM

LET024AB.jpg

Here's the schedule:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2019-08-12

As you can see, the morning's full of her beloved "Maisie" series.  Ann Sothern is such a delight.  Highly adept at comedy-- no less a figure than Lucille Ball called her the best in the business--  she also figured in some wonderful suspense and noir films.

I've noticed that Ann Sothern has a huge reservoir of good will with film audiences-- everyone seems to like her.  Her long TV career testifies to that as well.  To me there's an element of "spunky survivor" (for want of a better term), to her persona. Not unlike her fellow alum Joan Blondell, maybe. Whether in comedy or drama, there's a warmth and a realness, with which viewers seem to identify.

These films may have been recently or frequently aired, but they are no less terrific for that, and are eminently re-watchable:

shadow-on-the-wall-ann-sothern-1950-everett.jpg

5:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Shadow on the Wall".   Ann Sothern, Zachary Scott, Nancy Davis, Kristine Miller, Gigi Perreau

Nancy Davis (Reagan) is a psychotherapist working with a traumatized little girl who has witnessed the murder of her adulterous stepmother.

6:30 p.m. Eastern--  "The Blue Gardenia".   Anne Baxter, Richard Conte, Ann Sothern, Raymond Burr

blue-gardenia-sothern-sketch.jpg

Earthy, loyal roommate Ann Sothern supports her friend Anne Baxter who may have killed a date in an alcoholic blackout...

8:00 p.m. Eastern--  "A Letter to Three Wives".  Jeanne Crain, Ann Sothern, Kirk Douglas, Linda Darnell

Women pals are taunted by another who predicts she will be running off with one of their husbands...

10:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Cry Havoc".  Ann Sothern, Margaret Sullavan, Joan Blondell, Fay Bainter, Ella Raines, Marsha Hunt      

images.jpg

Valiant nurses struggle and cope during World War II's notorious seige of Bataan.

And at midnight eastern, a late-career Oscar-nominated performance in "The Whales of August",  with Bette Davis, Lillian Gish, and Vincent Price.

Love Ann Sothern.

Honored Contributor

Re: MONDAY IS ANN SOTHERN DAY ON TCM

Ann Sothern was a treasure !!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Thank you @Oznell  for sharing. I have watched so many of her movies on TCM...think my DVR will be in overtime on Monday!!

Honored Contributor

The first time I saw Ann Sothern was on her TV show, Private Secretary.  I always enjoyed her on TV .  I will  DVR some of her movies.  I did like her in The Blue Gardenia and Cry Havoc.  I am happy Ann Sothern is having a day at TCM, she deserves to be honored for her great acting in the movies and on TV,

Honored Contributor

Good point about her TV show, @spiderw.  I wonder why it or her other show(s) don't show up on the vintage TV channels-- at least I'm not aware that they do.  Her flair for comedy, and her high likeability factor would make her a natural, I'd think...

Respected Contributor

@Oznell   what a feast!  thanks for this info. Ann Sothern deserves much more attention and respect for her wide range of acting talents.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

Good point about her TV show, @spiderw.  I wonder why it or her other show(s) don't show up on the vintage TV channels-- at least I'm not aware that they do.  Her flair for comedy, and her high likeability factor would make her a natural, I'd think...

I also wish that more "older" TV shows would be shown. Years ago I saw that "Love That Bob",  "Dobie Gillis" and "My Little Margie" were on TV but they didn't last long. Decades TV had 2 TV shows from each decade every morning. But unfortunately I can no longer watch that channel.

Ann Sothern had her own TV show. I don't think I ever saw it. 

Guess it is all about ratings. And the older shows just don't draw the ratings.

PS - I have always admired the dress Ann Sothern wore for the party at her house for the sponsor in the movie Letter to Three Wives. I thought it was one of the most flattering dresses. Ann Southern looked so nice wearing it.

Honored Contributor

Agreed, @drizzellla.  They need to showcase those older shows, and build their popularity over time.  The best ones, like the best ones of any decade or era, have timeless appeal.

Just like vintage films, the earliest retro TV shows would eventually attract discerning audiences....

Honored Contributor

Oznell!

I would love if MeTV brought back Ann Sothern's TV shows, that would be so delightful.  She did have such a flare for comedy and in her Mazie movies it does show!  

Valued Contributor

Just an FYI @drizzellla @Oznell @spiderw  - Amazon Prime TV has lots of old TV shows you can watch for free. Out of curiosity, I just searched on there for the old tv shows you mentioned and "Dobie Gillis", "My Little Margie", "Private Secretary" (with Ann Sothern) are all free on Amazon Prime.

Some old shows I like to watch on Amazon Prime are I Love Lucy, The Andy Griffith Show, The ****** VanDyke Show, That Girl, Magnum PI, Dr. Quinn. They also have some good British documentaries about the Royal family and British tv movies I've enjoyed.

We get Amazon Prime Tv for free on our Roku because my husband gets Amazon Prime every year since he orders quite a bit. He said he didn't know if he'd renew his Amazon Prime this year (it's $119/year). But, I told him to renew it because it's totally worth it to get the Amazon Prime Tv for free.