Honored Contributor

MINI ALERT FOR HARD CORE "MIDNIGHT LACE" FANS, 6:00 P.M. EASTERN MONDAY TCM

6:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Midnight Lace"  Doris Day, Rex Harrison, John Gavin, Myrna Loy, Roddy McDowall

TCM's excuse for showing it yet again-- they're having a Roddy McDowell fest.  Our excuse for noticing--  Doris is so fab as the sympathetic heiress in peril, hunky John Gavin co-stars, and the clothes and sets rock!   Celluloid eye candy.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: MINI ALERT FOR HARD CORE "MIDNIGHT LACE" FANS, 6:00 P.M. EASTERN MONDAY TCM

Such a great movie and her clothes are so beautiful!  I rather watch this movie in the daytime, that voice on the phone is so scary - LOL!!

Honored Contributor

Love this movie. I think I'll record it. It's one I'd like to keep. I love Doris Day. The only thing that could make this movie better was if she sang over the opening credits. But we can't have everything. 

She has it all. She can sing and act. She's got a va-voom figure, and a pretty face. Someone who knew her said you could set a drink on her backside, hahaha. 

That little voice on the phone stays with you. 

Honored Contributor

And not just on the phone, @twinsister and @Judaline.  How about that first, eerie encounter in the fog-bound London park, with the opening credits rolling and the lush strings of that frantic musical score vibrating "danger, danger, danger"?

And that horrid, insinuating little metallic voice,   "Miss-iz PRESS-ton, Miss-iz Press-ton......"

That opening scene is dynamite!

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/1284044/Midnight-Lace-Movie-Clip-A-Real-London-Fog.html

Valued Contributor

You can't go wrong with a Doris Day movie!

Honored Contributor

The costumes and sets are wonderful. Personally, I found Doris a bit annoying in this one...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember reading that this was a very difficult role for Doris Day to play. She said she was very stressed at the time and the emotionally charged scenes were not easy on her...

No matter how many times I see this film, it still scares me. Thanks @Oznell for the reminder...

Honored Contributor

That info is such an interesting backdrop to her performance in this, @Trinity11.   Especially since I think she brings a very urgent sort of edge of hysteria to her role, contrasting with her "usual" screen persona.

This is what I love about classic film fans here-- people bring all this richness of background information that enhances our viewing experience...thanks!

Honored Contributor

Love this film!  It's shown pretty often now. 

And ooooohhh - we had fog this morning here.

Respected Contributor

I love all the Doris Day rom-coms, Pillow Talk is my absolute favorite!!

I never saw Midnight Lace and I tried to watch it last night. I was about an hour in and I fell asleep. The anguish on her face when she was receiving the phone calls was really over the top. I hope it plays again soon so I can see how it ends. I'm almost tempted to Google the ending, but I think I'll wait and watch it.