Honored Contributor

MIDNIGHT SUSPENSE DRAMA TCM SATURDAY NIGHT

[ Edited ]

12:00 Midnight Eastern--  Tonight's "Noir Alley" entry is "The Narrow Margin" with Charles McGraw and Marie Windsor.   The movie was shown as recently as January, so here's my alert from then with the lowdown, for those who haven't seen this gem:  

https://community.qvc.com/t5/TV-and-Movies/quot-The-Narrow-Margin-quot-Suspense-Thriller-TCM/m-p/435...

This tense thriller, a "B" picture when it was made, has gathered more and more notice and acclaim with the passage of time.  AND, it's a train movie, yay!

Love seeing old pro tough guy Charles McGraw and smart, sarcastic, idiosyncratically beautiful Marie Windsor trading barbs as the danger-laden train flings itself toward L.A.  Excellent, terse but eloquent acting on the part of both.

See this exchange between the two in link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=7okvVHbmi_8

I keep saying this, but it's worth the price of admission just to hear what 'Noir Alley" host Eddie Muller will say in his intro and concluding remarks.  He's easily the most film-knowledgeable host on TCM, with the most personality-- and riveting to listen to!

Honored Contributor

Re: MIDNIGHT SUSPENSE DRAMA TCM SATURDAY NIGHT

@Oznell  I watched this the last time it was on. Very good. True noir. Both B movie actors, but terrific. I like his voice-gravelly (sp?) I guess you'd say, but enough so that you' do whatever he said.

Honored Contributor

Oh, totally, @Judaline-- that hoarse, authoritative voice of McGraw's, coming out of that sweet Irish face, a big part of the appeal!   Both McGraw and Windsor extremely appealing, talented players...

Honored Contributor

Fun bits of background on "The Narrow Margin" from TCM:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/1919/The-Narrow-Margin/articles.html

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Fun bits of background on "The Narrow Margin" from TCM:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/1919/The-Narrow-Margin/articles.html

@Oznell  Thanks again for the heads up.   I am enjoying most of them.....

Honored Contributor

Wow, Eddie came through.  I recorded the movie just so I could get Eddie's commentary.

What a bombshell that Howard Hughes almost actually wrecked the film with his bizarre demands for drastic changes in script and casting.  Thank goodness saner heads prevailed, this time....

Eddie was hilarious, joking that in honor of Mother's Day next week, they will be showing "Caged",  one of those overwrought "women in prison" movies, ha.

Every once in a while, Eddie can't resist a veiled or more overt partisan shot in his remarks.  But he is forgiven.  He does that in his books too.  You can't be a noir fan and be a marshmallow about it -- almost all the critics are of eerily similar views.  But Eddie is a whole package, and long may he bring his piercing film commentary and quirky humor to TCM!

Honored Contributor

Oh-- and Howard Hughes wanted to replace McGraw and Windsor with Mitchum and Jane Russell.  As good as the latter two were, I'm so glad a couple of more struggling but highly worthy players like McGraw and Windsor got their chance at this film.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Forgettaboutit

Esteemed Contributor

I have it recorded along with Twilight of Honor.  Today is a really rainy day in Florida, so I will watch it later.  Thanks again.l

Honored Contributor

I watched and it was pretty good.  I thought both women were strong characters, smart.  Loved TMC's "aftertalk," too.  

At first when I read "Marie Windsor," I was picturing Marie Wilson, who I thought would be perfect as a gangster's wife.  She often played ditsy characters.  I believe she was most famous for My Friend Irma.

Marie Wilson:

Image result for "dumb blonde" actress marie 1950s

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.