Honored Contributor

ME TV-- "IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT"-- IS IT STARTING OR NOT, I WONDER?

I was listening idly to MeTV, and could have sworn I heard the announcement that after Labor Day, they were switching up the schedule a bit to show the "In the Heat of the Night" TV show with Carroll O'Connor and Howard Rollins weekdays at 11:00 a.m. Eastern.

This would bump their current show, "Diagnosis Murder" from that slot.  I like both shows and occasionally DVR "Murder".

Yet, I just looked ahead at their schedule, and see that it doesn't seem to have changed.  MeTV is a bit frustrating, as at least on my local channel, they often substitute local shows for the national MeTV lineup.  For example, for ages they bumped "The Streets of San Francisco" for some dull local programming on weekends.

OK, did I dream that announcement, or did anyone else hear it?  Maybe I got the times wrong?

Trusted Contributor

Re: ME TV-- "IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT"-- IS IT STARTING OR NOT, I WONDER?

I looked on their website.  It's on at 12 pm (Noon) EST Mon - Fri.

Honored Contributor

I bet I've seen every episode 3 or 4 times on WGN.  Carroll O'Connor was perfect in the role of the sheriff.

Honored Contributor

Thank you so much for checking, @MezzieStarr.   I just checked the guide again, and on my local channel, in their infinite wisdom, they are favoring us with infomercial programming at that time, of the "Air Fryer Oven" variety.... 

Grrrrr!

Honored Contributor

You're right, @deepwaterdotter, he was.  The whole show and cast were great, especially in those first seasons.  Loved that opening theme music, with the trains, etc, too.  Very evocative.

Honored Contributor

Living in the south, I loved the show and always watched carefully for authenticity.

I was never disappointed.

My English  professor had a recurring role as the mob lawyer, Alvin Epp

His name is Bob Penny and he was in Forrest Gump & other movies & series.

He was a sweet & charming gentleman.

The young folks around here tease about their grandmothers' TV watchng habits.

The white kids say their grandma is always watching Law & Order (guilty!)

The black kids say their grandma is always watching In the Heat of the Night.

Did you know Carroll O'Conner's son was a regular but sadly committed suicide.   He had an addiction problem.    Dad did all he could to save his son.  It was so tragic.

Regular Contributor

@software wrote:

The white kids say their grandma is always watching Law & Order (guilty!)

The black kids say their grandma is always watching In the Heat of the Night.

Did you know Carroll O'Conner's son was a regular but sadly committed suicide.   He had an addiction problem.    Dad did all he could to save his son.  It was so tragic.

@software - Lol yep, and we were one of those black families! My parents LOVED looking at it every week when it came on! As I got older and the re-runs started up, I watched. Now that mom & dad are both gone, I record and watch it whenever its on. Hubby & I saw the commercial the other day about the series starting up on MeTv. I instantly set the dvr to record all episodes. Smiley Very Happy Those episodes never get old!  

Yes, I knew Carroll O'Conner's son played on the show. It was so sad when he passed away. 

Honored Contributor

I used to see it alot on THIS TV, but then that channel disappeared a year ago. I loved the episode where Jerry Stiller played a Rabbi being bullied, he did a great job. Howard Rollins left after a while and was replaced by the guy from Matlock.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  I see it at 11:00 CST here today and throughout the week at the same time.

One episode per day on MeTV.

Today is the pilot for the series.

I know WGN has run this show since forever, too.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I liked this show and had a crush on Bubba.  When it started to focus on Tibbs wife and her supposed perfectionism I quit watching.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)