Esteemed Contributor

WAtched it last night on Amazon Video.  IMHO a much better movie than La La Land.

Esteemed Contributor

I totally agree! I rented La La Land and, literally, I could only get through about the first 15 minutes of it. It was HORRIBLE! Manchester, on the other hand, was an excellent movie.

Trusted Contributor

I agree also. I thought the story was interesting. And Casey Afleck gave a good performance. 

Esteemed Contributor

Comparing these 2 movies is - as the sayng goes - apples and oranges !! Loved each movie for different reasons, moods, etc

Trusted Contributor

@KathyPet: I agree. I  couldn't finish LaLa Land.

Respected Contributor

Re: MAnchester By The Sea

[ Edited ]

Manchester by the Sea was a good movie albeit a sad one.  Casey Affleck deserved his oscar for Best Actor.  He was superb!  Everyone acted well in an oscar winning screenplay.  I guess I am in the minority. I liked LaLa Land.  I saw it in the theater and liked it very much.

Trusted Contributor

Manchester Bythe Sea is one of the best movies I've seen. It was original and superbly acted. Sad as it was, it was refreshing to see a real grown up movie. 

I still haven't seen La La Land. Eventually I will because I like the actors. 

Has anyone seen Moonlight? Still haven't seen it,but I'm planning to. 

Esteemed Contributor

@culebra wrote:

Manchester by the Sea was a good movie albeit a sad one.  Casey Affleck deserved his oscar for Best Actor.  He was superb!  Everyone acted well in an oscar winning screenplay.  I guess I am in the minority. I liked LaLa Land.  I saw it in the theater and liked it very much.

I loved La La Land! It had an old feel vibe (Busby Berkeley like at times!) - with newer technology added to it. I actually saw it 3 times- anytime a friend or family member wanted to see it for the 1st time I was in !! Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Re: MAnchester By The Sea

[ Edited ]

@nrm wrote:

Manchester Bythe Sea is one of the best movies I've seen. It was original and superbly acted. Sad as it was, it was refreshing to see a real grown up movie. 

I still haven't seen La La Land. Eventually I will because I like the actors. 

Has anyone seen Moonlight? Still haven't seen it,but I'm planning to. 

Moonlight was very 'real' & heavy - like Manchester By the Sea. Manchester by the Sea did have a few light hearted moments, though.

I was surprised 'Moonlight' won best picture. It was of a 'film' per say, the Academy tends to lean towards that. Manchester was a story more so. Does that make sense?

Respected Contributor

I loved Manchester By The Sea, & thought Casey Affleck was fantastic in his role.

This'll sound dumb, but the only thing in the movie that didn't ring true was the actual town of MBTS. It stinks when you know about a place.

MBTS is where old money is; mansions like you wouldn't believe, & it's a very hoity-toity, blue-blood place.

Gloucester would've been perfect! (But maybe would be too hard to pronounce!) Smiley LOL

Muddling through...