Honored Contributor

Re: MARY PICKFORD DOCUMENTARY WEDNESDAY 12:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

The documentary briefly touched upon her last years. I was interrupted a few times with lunch etc. But it seemed they glossed over "the bad stuff".

I read quite a bit the past few hours about Mary Pickford.

She apparently was an alcoholic and quite a recluse during her last 10 years. Her kids did not fair well either. But that was briefly mentioned. Mary Pickford treated Douglas Fairbanks Jr like her own son. But it didn't seem like she had the same relationship with her own children. They did briefly interview her daughter. Mary Pickford's daughter died in 2004. And the son was not mentioned. He had attempted to commit suicide. And later was drug running with a biker group and went to prison. He died a drifter. 

Not sure who did the documentary but it seemed to try and keep things positive about her life. And talked about all the good she did to raise money for the Home for the Agedin her later years.

Honored Contributor

Oh, thanks for filling me in, @drizzellla.  Fascinating and so sad about her family.  I had an inkling that she might have been an alcoholic--  as she became more reclusive, apparently her husband "Buddy" Rogers tried to protect her from the press I think.  Not sure, but that's the impression I had.

That whole period, with Chaplin and Gish and Mary Pickford is endlessly interesting. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Oh, thanks for filling me in, @drizzellla.  Fascinating and so sad about her family.  I had an inkling that she might have been an alcoholic--  as she became more reclusive, apparently her husband "Buddy" Rogers tried to protect her from the press I think.  Not sure, but that's the impression I had.

That whole period, with Chaplin and Gish and Mary Pickford is endlessly interesting. 

You are so right. I read so much this afternoon, not sure where I read it. But Buddy Rogers did try to protect her. He arranged for Lillian Gish, Douglas Fairbanks Jr. and others to visit with her. He also arranged phone calls. She rarely left Pickfair.

The documentary interviewed him. He seemed like a nice fellow. And he seemed to age well too. Quite a handsome fellow, even in his later years. They were married 40+ years.