Honored Contributor

Re: MARTHA KNOWS BEST HGTV NEW SHOW

Two great shows again last night. Loved the segment with Jay Leno and his pomegranate tree.

Especially enjoyed the advice on animals during the second show. Was sorry she didn't talk about the peacocks this time, as I have one that roosts up in one of my redwood trees. It was very interesting information about the ducks, giving dogs a bath, building a fence for the animals (loved seeing how she handles those tools!), etc. She is so hands on!

Really enjoying this series and hope she continues with many more.

Trusted Contributor

@deepwaterdotter They have been friends for years.  Just because they appear to have nothing in common does not mean that they don't.  They just like each other.  Friends, no ulterior motive.

Honored Contributor

Martha has street cred for being in jail for 5 months.

She referred to it last night as being "at camp for 5 months."

She cracks me up.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I really like Martha and Snoop Dogg's show.  There hasn't been an episode for some time now, but my Tivo picks up any new eps.  It's just fun and they are fun together, even though, by all appearances, they are very different.  I don't think they are that different in important ways so they get along and have fun together.

Recently I've seen a commercial with both of them.  I want to say 'Tostitos' brand but I'm not certain, so don't quote me on that.  Smiley Happy  It's cute!

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

Two great shows again last night. Loved the segment with Jay Leno and his pomegranate tree.

Especially enjoyed the advice on animals during the second show. Was sorry she didn't talk about the peacocks this time, as I have one that roosts up in one of my redwood trees. It was very interesting information about the ducks, giving dogs a bath, building a fence for the animals (loved seeing how she handles those tools!), etc. She is so hands on!

Really enjoying this series and hope she continues with many more.

@World Traveler  She posts a Blog every morning at 8 AM where she shows pictures and discusses many things in her life including her animals. All subjects are listed so you can choose to see her peacocks and her discussion on them. It's usually very interesting.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ Thank you for that information. Heart

Trusted Contributor

their love of cooking....I love it!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I know a lot will disagree but I think Martha Stewart has had a huge influence on the way people live since she came along in the early 1980's.  

She has made a difference in our meals, going from so many casseroles and such to a more basic and somewhat healthier style with more natural foods.  If you aren't old enough believe me, look at older cookbooks from the 1960's and 1970's like Southern Living and compare that to the food in Entertaining.  She was at the forefront of that trend.

She evolved from a lot of clutter and baskets to a cleaner look and a simple lifestyle and many went along on the journey.  I remember when me and all my friends put our dish detergent in a pretty bottle with a spout because she did it!

Unlike a lot of wealthy trendsetters and self-styled gurus who want to tell us how to live and what to think, Martha tells us how to fold a sheet, plant some greens, or cook a chicken.  

She hasn't lost touch with real life despite her wealth.  NOT to say she doesn't live a wealthy lifestyle (who wouldn't?) nor does she apologize, but she still is concerned with the way she lives and is always eager to learn something or find a better way and pass it along.  You can tell that learning something is exciting to her. 

I like that she takes life as it comes, does something to move on from hard knocks and as far as I know or remember, doesn't whine or cry or blame others for failures. (Well, maybe the chick her husband left her for. . . )

I once heard her say "I'm not unique!"  Then she laughed and said "I'm just . . .  difficult!"  That's not a bad attitude.  You could worse!

@Sooner I still have my dish washing liquid in pretty bottles.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple LOL!!!!  It doesn't surprise me!  It's a good thing!  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

She gives great gardening tips, about 20 years ago on one of her shows, she mentioned using suet cages to plant flower bulbs. Because many of us after planting would see them dug up and laying on top of the ground. She recommended the cages because the bulbs would stay put in the ground. From then on my sister and I have been planting our bulbs this way.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson