Re: MARLON BRANDO

[ Edited ]

To @jellyBEAN :

It wasn't. 😔😞

Honored Contributor

@Big Joanie wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

S T E L L A !!!

Does anyone do dysfunction better than Tennessee Williams ???

He had his own to go by.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@Big Joanie wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

S T E L L A !!!

Does anyone do dysfunction better than Tennessee Williams ???

He had his own to go by.

I wrote a term paper in college comparing 5 of Wms. work, what a joy it was for me to read these plays and write this paper, it was a labor of love!! His female characters are usually very weak, I put a lot of emphasis on that in my paper. 

Honored Contributor

from what little I've read over the yrs and correct me if I'm wrong. Lots of folks like to do that.

He had mother issues, not sure where the father was during his childhood

He loved the South. Interesting person.

that one movie I guess because of the times it was presented in I never quite 'got' it.   Suddenly Last Summer, wasn't that one of his, too ?

LIz Taylor in it. Hope I'm thinking of the right one. People that had lobotomies

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Yes, Suddenly Last Summer was a Wms. play, also

Glass Menagerie

Sweet Bird of Youth

Summer and Smoke

Streetcar Named Desire

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

Rose Tattoo

Honored Contributor

Cat was the best. I loved 'Big Daddy' and poor 'Big Mama'  Couldn't stand that character that was always pregnant. She looked like a pekingese

Respected Contributor

Did anyone catch the interesting tidbit before Guys n Dolls?  Mankiewicz (sp?) said in the scene at the restaurant with the cheesecake and the streudel, Brando purposely kept blowing his lines so that Sinatra would have to keep eating the cheesecake.  Sinatra HATED cheesecake!  Needless to say they didn't care for each other.

If not for Brando's character I don't think I would have cared for the movie.  He was a dapper fellow indeed, in his suits, with his hat tilted just so.  I could have sworn the actress opposite him sounded just like Audrey Hepburn.  Did the studios teach them to speak such perfect diction?  Sounded robotic or very unnatural to me.  A lot of the actresses in the 50's, early 60's seemed to all sound the same.  Hepburn, Grace Kelly, etc...

Also the voice of Adelaide grated on my noives. 

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

That was Jean Simmons as Sarah and Vivian Blaine as Adelaide. She was the original Adelaide on Broadway. 

I am assuing there was rivalry between Sinatra and Brando. 

Honored Contributor

BTW, Rita Moreno wrote a tell all autobiography, quite a sizzling tale of her long time relationship with Brando. 

Trusted Contributor

Totally agree withKo) she said the young Marlon was so great to watch,handsome an gifted