Honored Contributor

Amelia and Bennett are over. According to sources, she was the one who wanted out.

My antennae went up right away- I wonder how much of their "story" was scripted. They were the couple everyone fell in love with, and they seemed perfect for each other. They were both a little quirky and seemed to really want a future together.

They were another couple, like Clara and Ryan from Atlanta, who were too busy to be on Couples' Cam. I guess when we hear this from now on it means "Sorry, we've already split. But you still think we're together- LOL!"  Smiley LOL

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for letting us know @beach-mom .  I was rooting for them but was always on the fence if it would work in the long run.  He might have been a little TOO quirky for her.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it was the beginning of the month mafsfan started reporting she was hearing that.  Bennett basically stated she dumped him..  I can see where it wouldn't last with the hours she has to work and the distance, plus the fact she never went on the show because she wanted to get married; it was just because she thought it would be fun to be on tv or whaever she said.  And you're probably right, @beach-mom , yet another one scripted.  I guess we need to realize like the Housewives shows these are basically scripted.  Perhaps they do try to match them but watch how they interact and then based on that give them the storyline to follow.  If they hit it off in the process, great; if not, who cares because you have the ratings of Paige and Chris.

Honored Contributor

@Wsmom wrote:

I think it was the beginning of the month mafsfan started reporting she was hearing that.  Bennett basically stated she dumped him..  I can see where it wouldn't last with the hours she has to work and the distance, plus the fact she never went on the show because she wanted to get married; it was just because she thought it would be fun to be on tv or whaever she said.  And you're probably right, @beach-mom , yet another one scripted.  I guess we need to realize like the Housewives shows these are basically scripted.  Perhaps they do try to match them but watch how they interact and then based on that give them the storyline to follow.  If they hit it off in the process, great; if not, who cares because you have the ratings of Paige and Chris.

@Wsmom - You just said exactly what's going on in two sentences! Every fan of this show should read this!

Dr. Pepper has been with the show since the first episode. She is a sociology professor, and I strongly believe she has these kids' best interests in mind when she matches them. I think the others care too. But I also believe the original show "sold out" to Lifetime and ratings. This changed the focus of the show, Smiley Sad

Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear they're not together any more - They were one of my favorite couples.

If I recall, she moved to my area to do her (medical school) residency, and I was hoping to run into them.

It could be that she really did just go on the show as a lark, and now that she's a "Doctor," she's not trying to be "tied down" to anyone just yet (?)

Honored Contributor

@LavernLuvsShoes wrote:

Sorry to hear they're not together any more - They were one of my favorite couples.

If I recall, she moved to my area to do her (medical school) residency, and I was hoping to run into them.

It could be that she really did just go on the show as a lark, and now that she's a "Doctor," she's not trying to be "tied down" to anyone just yet (?)

@LavernLuvsShoes - I read that she has always wanted attention, ever since she was a little girl, and THAT is why she went on the show. 

@decaf - I think you're right. She was probably intrigued by him at first, but found out he was too "much" for her. I'm sure the show wanted to keep up the charade as long as they could because people had such a positive feeling about them.

So we have the train wreck that was Paige and Chris- for ratings; and the feel good couple that everyone loved that was Amelia and Bennett- for ratings.

Which will we see in Houston? 

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess Bao and Johnny. But THEY might be TOO obvious! LOL!  Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@LavernLuvsShoes wrote:

@LavernLuvsShoes - I read that she has always wanted attention, ever since she was a little girl, and THAT is why she went on the show. 

@decaf - I think you're right. She was probably intrigued by him at first, but found out he was too "much" for her. I'm sure the show wanted to keep up the charade as long as they could because people had such a positive feeling about them.

So we have the train wreck that was Paige and Chris- for ratings; and the feel good couple that everyone loved that was Amelia and Bennett- for ratings.

Which will we see in Houston? 

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess Bao and Johnny. But THEY might be TOO obvious! LOL!  Smiley Wink

@beach-mom, I tend to agree about Bao/Johnny after hearing how many men she just couldn't "get into".  I found her personality kind of lackluster, but that's me.

As far as the show, DH and I have watched from the beginning when Dr. Pepper, plus if memory serves, there were a total of 4 professionals.  Two women and 2 men, both of which we haven't seen anymore.  This show kind of reminds me of when the original few seasons of the Bachelor/ette shows began and people went on to really find a partner for life.  Now, not so much; many go on just for the exposure and much is scripted.

While we will continue to watch, it's just not the same anymore, but I do think Dr. Pepper has good intentions.  I am tired of the other dark haried woman (can't recall her name) and Pastor Cal.

Honored Contributor

@HisElk1 wrote:

@beach-mom, I tend to agree about Bao/Johnny after hearing how many men she just couldn't "get into".  I found her personality kind of lackluster, but that's me.

As far as the show, DH and I have watched from the beginning when Dr. Pepper, plus if memory serves, there were a total of 4 professionals.  Two women and 2 men, both of which we haven't seen anymore.  This show kind of reminds me of when the original few seasons of the Bachelor/ette shows began and people went on to really find a partner for life.  Now, not so much; many go on just for the exposure and much is scripted.

While we will continue to watch, it's just not the same anymore, but I do think Dr. Pepper has good intentions.  I am tired of the other dark haried woman (can't recall her name) and Pastor Cal.

@HisElk1 - You're right. Without looking it up, I remember Dr. Joseph, psychologist; Dr. Logan, sexuality expert, Greg (chaplain at Harvard), spiritual advisor, and Dr. Pepper. (I had to look it up after all!). I remember we saw Dr. Joseph studying the profiles alone, and it seemed to be legitimate.

After that season we learned one of the grooms (Vaughn) had trouble with the cameras being around all of the time. The couples did have to find a house together, but in spite of the show's saying otherwise, they did keep their "real" homes. We saw the three brides bond, and it seems like that does happen every season! 

But guess what? If you don't want cameras around, why would you do this???

I don't know exactly when it started to be about the ratings. I blame the switch to Lifetime. 

We found out how little interaction the experts actually have after the Boston season, when Dr. Jessica left the show to begin a relationship with Jon, one of the grooms (who IMO was treated horribly by his bride Molly). It happened again after Miami when Nick, one of the grooms, began a relationship with one of the relationship experts associated with a post show. We see the experts, and they do interact with the couples, but there is also a team of experts behind the scenes.

More and more was coming out. One of the grooms was recruited two days before filming when the original groom dropped out.

I found out how they twist story lines with the pairing of Kate and Luke. I posted a lot about how DD went to college with someone who worked with Luke at his engineering job. He wasn't allowed to say anything of course, but he was still working the whole time they filmed.

I always have hope for some of these couples, and there have been successful relationships. We can hope!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I think he might have been a bit of a loser....someone who would continually sponge off of her financially. She was smart to dump him.

Esteemed Contributor

@Wsmom - Was that recent news about Amelia & Bennett? I happened to read an article about them and they are still together according to the report which I saw over the weekend.