Respected Contributor

I watched this movie on PBS today. It starred Martin Landau and Ellen Burstyn.

Has anyone here seen it? I have several questions. Why did they live in separate houses or was this just Robert's perception of things? His home looked bare while her's was filled with family photos. Was this how the REAL family home looked outside of Robert's head. Who was the little girl at the party? What was the significance of the prescription? Was it for him or her? Was the store manager his son?  I think one of the photos in her home showed Robert as the store owner. The post it notes appeared in his home during his breakdown. Why would someone with memory loss and a family who loves him live alone. Was he just having a lucid week? Did they actually all live together and the empty home with the empty walls just symbolic of Robert's memory loss? What about the phone calls they made to each other? Can someone please help me figure this out? Thanks.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

Re: Lovely, still (2008)- movie

I did see this once, but to answer any questions, I'd need to watch it again. It made me feel sad, like they tried to get together, but it was such a struggle.  Was that right?

Respected Contributor

They are actually married. The girl is their daughter. Not sure about the guy. He(Robert) apparently has Alzheimer's disease. It ends with him in the hospital with her by his side remembering a snow globe he gave her. It's just hard to know in the movie if everything is as it appears or are we seeing what he sees?

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Esteemed Contributor

I watched it ...found it very confusing.......eventually turned the channel....