Respected Contributor

I have never been in a house or apartment where the kitchen is in the front of the house so I am having a hard time picturing it. I guess it would depend on the layout of the house. It wouldn't bother me unless you opened the front door and walked right into the kitchen. That I would not like. 

What is said on a TV show about houses in general would not offend me what so ever. Unless you are getting ready to sell your house who cares what others think about your decorating. 

Esteemed Contributor

My parent's house had a kitchen in the front.  I was just so used to it that I never even thought about it.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

Our 2nd house had the kitchen in the front, off the main hallway.   never noticed that it was unusual. some did comment, like my MIL.

our LR had a huge picture window over looking the back yard. Dining room had French Doors also w view of back yard. 3 Beds up. really spacious home. very happy there.

Super Contributor
I think kitchens in the front were a style for awhile. As
For your friend, some people don’t hear themselves. I hope she’s a good friend in other ways. I had a friend like that for years, she was super critical. As for your collectibles....my mother-in-law collected things and they brought her happiness. Whenever I see a Hummel I think of her.
Honored Contributor

@Reever,

I have one of the same lighthouses shown in that house!    

My small and very specific lighthouse collection was ruined by well meaning friends who showered me with gifts of everything lighthouse, from teapots to thimbles, it was unreal.   I got rid of all of the gifts, and just have the pieces I started with.  No more collecting for me.  

Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@Reever,

I have one of the same lighthouses shown in that house!    

My small and very specific lighthouse collection was ruined by well meaning friends who showered me with gifts of everything lighthouse, from teapots to thimbles, it was unreal.   I got rid of all of the gifts, and just have the pieces I started with.  No more collecting for me.  

I was hurt when the designer Hillary seemed to scoff at the lighthouses as I also own some.  Her comment " Why do some people feel the need to do this" sounded elitist.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop   I am impressed by Hilary's use of space, but do not like the decor she brings in.  It finally dawned on me last night that if she left the owner's belongings instead of bringing her own in, viewers may not notice the work she had done.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl,

I do believe you are right, as between the new design, new furnishings, and the clean look, it makes the work Hillary has done, really stand out.   

I watched an episode recently where it seemed too obvious the family had intentionally left a huge mess lying around for Hillary and David's initial walk thru.  And of course there was that flawless designer look at the end, but when it's a family home, I'd rather see their actual stuff in the new design.