Honored Contributor

Re: Love it or List It

[ Edited ]

Yes, we had a kitchen in the front of our first house, which was a bilevel so we didn't walk directly into the kitchen.  I liked it.  I could see what was happening on the street.  Our last house had the kitchen in the back opening to the yard.  That was OK too.  That was not a major consideration for me.

Honored Contributor

We could write a book on what crazy things people say on this show and House Hunters.

I've never lived in a home with a front kitchen.   I currently have a very large room in the back of the house, about 1/3 is kitchen the rest is a family/dining room.   French doors open to the back deck & somewhat private yard.    It works for me, I'm in & out all day.   Those are my 2 hot spots, the kitchen & the yard!

As far as needing a reno, don't be so defensive.    Just say I sure do & I'm taking donations!   Would you like to be the first!

@Reever wrote:

On tonight's episode Hillary had to move the kitchen to make the home more functional for the couple ( for anyone who saw it I am referencing the episode where the man had a "Pub" man cave in the backyard).  His wife did not like the idea of moving the kitchen to the front of the house.  She kept proclaiming that it was weird and never saw a home with a kitchen in the front of the house.  I took offense to it as my kitchen is in the front of the house.  Does anyone else have a kitchen in front of the house ?  Is she correct ?

Trusted Contributor

My SO recently moved into a beautiful, spacious new build condo. He has a large, ultra modern kitchen, and it's in the front. 

The entire layout, of the condo, is a bit unusual; I wasn't sure I liked it, at first, but, it's quickly growing on me😊He loves it, and he got a good price, because the layout he wanted, wasn't moving as quickly. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't you get tired of some remarks regarding how you choose to decorate your house?  I know I do.  I'm told my kitchen is dated because it has oak cabinets and formica counter tops.  When I first moved into this home back in the 70's the kitchen had plywood cabinets overhead and the floor cabinets were metal covered with contact paper, and there was  rust wall-to-wall covering the floor.  Well, I had to live with this ugly kitchen for 10 years (well, we did rip up the carpeting) before we were able to re-do it and let me tell you I would sit on the couch gazing into my new kitchen and thinking - wow - no more changing the contact paper!   I still enjoy my kitchen and to heck with all the "dated" nay-sayers.

Honored Contributor

Why would you be offended just because some one supposedly does not kitchens in the front of their house?  Remember these shows are scripted.  If you like it  what do you care what some ditz on a TV show said?  Enjoy your home.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Reever   In my previous home,. it was in front, hated it, now in this house it is in the back with a view fof my gardens, love it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reever 

Even though you didn't ask I think that is extremely rude of a "friend" -- if your things & style bring you joy don't mind others.

My gf mom lived in a beautiful 4,000 sq ft ranch home and the kitchen faced the street (front of house).  You walked into foyer and to the left was the kitchen & living area.  To the right were the bedrooms (5), bathrooms and kids bonus room.

I loved that house well I still do!  Her mom has a music room with 200 year old steinway grand piano (room added for it) and guess what it's filled with Wedgewood, Lenox, Lladro and more...

The home is beautiful and filled with things that bring her joy🙂

I do love the show "Love It or List It" I like Hillary & David but I'm really waiting to buy a scratch off ticket with my last $$ and win million so I can have David from "My Lottery Dream Home" find me my lifelong dream a beach house🙂🙂😉.  I better start buying them😉

Honored Contributor

@Reever,

I watched the episode last night, and was amazed at the transformation of that small house.   As soon as Hillary mentioned taking away the garage, I was thinking what an awesome kitchen that would make.  

No, I don’t have a front kitchen, nor does anyone I know, but I think my houseplan would’ve be very suitable to have had one, and I have voiced that opinion to my family. 

It was also obvious from the remark about the lighthouses, that Hillary does not approve of collectibles!   

I like to watch the transformations, but would not want my home to look like one of Hillary’s re-does.   I don’t want a picture book home.

Frequent Contributor

@Reever  I had a condo where the kitchen was in the front.  The front door and hallway and on left was large kitchen.  I never thought it was odd.  My "dining room/living room" combo had sliding doors that had nice views.  The layout makes sense.  I think everyone has different tastes and feel comfortable in different surroundings.  BTW - I have "formica" counter tops in my current home.  

Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@Reever,

It was also obvious from the remark about the lighthouses, that Hillary does not approve of collectibles!   

The younger generation does not seem to share the same love we have for chachkies and collectibles.  I own over 100 Hummels, fine Capodimonte, collections of roosters indoors and gnomes outside. I have never collected lighthouses but I feel  like the homeowner may have gotten hurt by Hillarys demeaning attitude toward the light houses. Many people enjoy visiting light house and this couple may pick up a token cermanic light house during their trip.  The younger generation seems to view these things as "dust collectors" and would rather fidde with a $500 telephone.