Respected Contributor

On tonight's episode Hillary had to move the kitchen to make the home more functional for the couple ( for anyone who saw it I am referencing the episode where the man had a "Pub" man cave in the backyard).  His wife did not like the idea of moving the kitchen to the front of the house.  She kept proclaiming that it was weird and never saw a home with a kitchen in the front of the house.  I took offense to it as my kitchen is in the front of the house.  Does anyone else have a kitchen in front of the house ?  Is she correct ?

Honored Contributor

We used to and I liked it!

You come in, plop the groceries right there and I loved my pretty kitchen with ivy wallpaper and a bright window I could look out while doing the dishesSmiley Happy

It's not weird at all, depending on the layout of the house.Our kitchen was not open in an open floor plan so it wasn't like you walkked into a kitchen, you walked into the hallway that led to the living and dining room and the kitchen was on the right just around the corner.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@Reever 

I don't - but I did have a friend who's grand pop had a shore home...you entered next to the garage, the 1st floor was gorgeous wrap around views of the bay, but then you went up to the 2nd floor for the kitchen and dining area.

I thought it was pleasingly unusual - & at least it was not cookie cutter.

I imagine your home is warm and inviting, not odd or out of place, - who the heck cares what the ninny on the telly said anyway. Let it roll off you.

Are you happy in your home? Happy WITH your home?

Then let her comment be in your rear view.

She doesn't live in your warm, inviting, (smells like you just made something yummy soon as you walk in),  home now does she?

You do and if you're happy - ignore her remark.

Respected Contributor

@MoonieBaby wrote:

@Reever 

I don't - but I did have a friend who's grand pop had a shore home...you entered next to the garage, the 1st floor was gorgeous wrap around views of the bay, but then you went up to the 2nd floor for the kitchen and dining area.

I thought it was pleasingly unusual - & at least it was not cookie cutter.

I imagine your home is warm and inviting, not odd or out of place, - who the heck cares what the ninny on the telly said anyway. Let it roll off you.

Are you happy in your home? Happy WITH your home?

Then let her comment be in your rear view.

She doesn't live in your warm, inviting, (smells like you just made something yummy soon as you walk in),  home now does she?

You do and if you're happy - ignore her remark.

@MoonieBaby, Thank you for your words. I do get hurt easily because a dear friend said my home was dated and filled with too many chachkies and collectibles (Hummels, roosters etc).  She commented that i need a "reno" done.  So I have always been sensitive regarding home layout.  You are correct I should ignore and move on.  So what if I have formica ? It is functioning well enough to cook in.

Honored Contributor

I don't think kitchens in the front of a house are desirable, and therefore, not popular. However, I've been in cottages where the front door takes you into the kitchen because the living room is in back of the house and looks out on the water. In that case, it makes sense to me.

Esteemed Contributor

@Reever   Many years ago I lived in a 2 story townhouse in CA and when you entered the front door the kitchen was on the immediate right.  I never thought it weird or strange at all, I liked it. As far as your so called friend and her rude comment about "chachkies" and collectables IMO they tell the story of ones life and home.  I love my stuff.  Sounds like your house is a home as mine is.  

Respected Contributor

@Reever 

Daaaahhhling, the only "reno" it sounds like you need... -is on that so-called friendship.

She sounds dreadful and difficult.

Formica lasts & is just fine n dandy for you.

You need zero advice from a critical pal.

Trusted Contributor

Who cares what others think?  If you like it, that's all that counts.  

Respected Contributor

@Reever   I also have a bunch of Hummels too!  Love them, and hit paydirt when I went to an estate sale and the woman must have been the biggest collector in the world!  They were priced so low, I had to get many of them.  I still kick myself for not getting the large "ring around the rosie" one with the 4 girls dancing.

I got lots of great ones, and one of my favorites I got for my sister, it was a little girl sitting with a dachshund.  So cute!

My parent home has a kitchen right as you walk in and it's perfect, so don't worry about what anyone says about your home, they aren't living there.  

I did hear a funny thing someone said about putting a couch in front of a window facing the street on a TV show.  She said no city girl would ever do that.  I guess it's because if bullets are flying you don't want to be by the window in front, but who knows!

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

Re: Love it or List It

[ Edited ]

When I bought my townhouse, I chose the model with the larger kitchen in the back.  The other model is a small kitchen in the front.  I notice that a lot of people put in makeshift walls/shelvinng/bookcases so that when they open the front door, you don't see what's in their kitchen sink ;o)  This naturally takes 2 feet away from their already small kitchen.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN