Honored Contributor

Has anyone else seen this? Or are you watching it? This is THE new show to watch around here. DD and her friends saw it, so I decided to watch it too. 

The premise is the women live together in one suite, and the men in another in the same building complex in Atlanta. They take their phones, and no social media is allowed. The couples "meet" each other by talking to each other in pods, sight unseen with a frosted wall between them. They go on dates, take notes, and (the producers hope) make a connection. They can ask each other anything except what they look like. They say their real names and occupations. Of course they talk about the ones they are talking to back in their suites, which brings some drama when two or more are interested in the same guy or girl! At the end of the allotted time, they can propose if they choose to. They meet in person for the first time, go on a "honeymoon" type trip to Mexico where they all meet in person, come back and live together 4 weeks and meet friends and families before they get married. At the altar each one can choose to say "I do" or "I don't"!

Hosted by Vanessa and Nick Lachey (but you really don't see them a whole lot) this show is from the producers of Married at First Sight

Because it's on Netflix it's a little racier than network TV, and the language made me almost stop watching, but of course once I saw the first episode I wanted to see what happened to the couples. It was actually better than I thought it would be. 

You all know how skeptical I am of reality shows, so I did some research. They start with 15 men and 15 women. The dates in the pod are real. The producers said they were hoping they would get at least two engaged couples to follow, and they actually ended up with 8. They couldn't film all 8, so 2 were going to continue their relationship off camera. Once they started filming the 6 though, the "partially scripted" part of the show started. 

If you watch Married at First Sight you will recognize elements of that show in this one!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Love is Blind on Netflix

@beach-mom   Interesting concept.  Actually this makes more sense than a relationship based purely on what a person looks like.  I wonder, however, how deep the conversations are and to the degree that they really get to know each other based on the short time frame of filming and the drama of the housemates.  It sounds like a good "hook" for another reality show. Thanks for the share.

Honored Contributor

There are already 'spoilers' online, showing 2 couples from this show that have been married for a year now.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

There are already 'spoilers' online, showing 2 couples from this show that have been married for a year now.

@KingstonsMom - Of course I had to find out what happened so I know what happens to the six couples they followed! Smiley Wink

When I first started watching it was hard to keep them all straight. Now I want to go back and see what they said to each other in the first two episodes! 

It was filmed a year ago. DD told me there is a reunion show on March 5 - I think on YouTube. They already are planning the next season. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@beach-mom   Interesting concept.  Actually this makes more sense than a relationship based purely on what a person looks like.  I wonder, however, how deep the conversations are and to the degree that they really get to know each other based on the short time frame of filming and the drama of the housemates.  It sounds like a good "hook" for another reality show. Thanks for the share.

@phoenixbrd - They get pretty deep.. A lot of them talked about how many children, their past, their faith, etc. One of the producers said of course there was a lot more interaction than was actually shown. He said in the beginning when there were 15 men and 15 women they had about 7-10 minutes with their "dates." As time went by and they decided who each wanted to "date" they had longer and longer times. I'm not sure, but some probably decided this wasn't for them. One producer said once they narrowed their choices down, they would look forward to talking to each other any chance they could get. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Bored not being able to go anywhere during this Shutdown, I happened to catch Love Is Blind on YouTube.  So I went to Netflix to see one episode.  I ended up spending my Saturday watching ALL of the episodes.   I didn't mean to even watch one in its entirety.  It was good!

There were some things expected and some surprises.  Two couples made to the end and said 'I do' and by now have been married a year and a half.  Really enjoyed the series even knowing it's partially scripted.

I've never watched Bachelor or Bachelorette.  Couldn't deal with that, imo, teenaged silliness.  Love is Blind is much, much better.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

As I said on the other post on this, I got sucked into this and really enjoyed it!! Took 2 days I believe, but it was worth it.  Really enjoyed it.

Honored Contributor

A reunion special is up on Netflix now. Can't wait to watch it, but probably no time this week!  Three of the couples are still together!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

A reunion special is up on Netflix now. Can't wait to watch it, but probably no time this week!  Three of the couples are still together!  Smiley Happy

@beach-mom, I watched that last weekend.  I want to hear your input after you've watched...I think Jessica is looking a tad rough and still has a thing for Bennett.  I give that girl credit for still going on that show.