Respected Contributor

What a tear jerker.  I hadn't seen it since it originally came out all those years ago - 1970.  50 years!!! 

I really njoyed seeing it again after all this time.  Of course I knew the story but I didn't remember all the other details.  Did anyone else watch?  It was on TCM so I assume it will be On Demand tomorrow.

I guess I was about 13/14 years old when I originally saw it.  Made me feel very nostalgic.  I assume it was cancer but they never really said - detected by blood tests.  He borrowed $5,000 to pay for the hospital bill.  Today's costs would probably be $500,000.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

@jellyBEAN  brings back memories, 1st date with this guy took me to see this movie, I am really trying but tears coming out then afterwards took me out to eat fast food, we talked had a few dates later but all my makeup was a mess. LOL Now DH sees me crying and knows what are you watching cuz I get emotional even seeing a tv show that is sad. LOL this is not a movie for a 1st date. I saw that on tv guide and thought no not watching this again. 

Esteemed Contributor

I watched it.

It's one of my favorite movies.

Is the line, "love means never having to say you're sorry" corny?

Yes, it is, without a doubt.

But the movie always makes me cry.

It's interesting how times have changed in story telling in those 50 years since this movie came out.

Back then, they didn't say the word "cancer", just hinted at it.

The doctor telling Oliver that Jenny is very sick and dying, but not telling her, and then telling him to act normal with her.

It's  hard for me to believe that doctors really were like that back then, but they were.

Lastly, I can't believe that this movie is as old as I am!

This movie came out the same year that I was born!

Boy, do I ever feel old!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

SUCH MEMORIES. I was the only person in my gaggle of friends who thought that the plot was overly sentimentalized goo, and it was an uncomfortable spot to be in when it seemed as though everybody in the country was fighting for a place in line to hold Ally McGraw's hand.

Now when BRIAN'S SONG was broadcast.........

Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

SUCH MEMORIES. I was the only person in my gaggle of friends who thought that the plot was overly sentimentalized goo, and it was an uncomfortable spot to be in when it seemed as though everybody in the country was fighting for a place in line to hold Ally McGraw's hand.

Now when BRIAN'S SONG was broadcast.........

I never saw Brian's song (that I recall anyway).  I sort of know the basics of the story.

I'd always heard that its a really good movie and quite the tear jerker.

Was that a made for TV movie?  I don't think its ever been shown on TCM.  But I would like to see it if it is aired again.

I'd forgotten how attractive both Ryan O'Neal and Ali Macgraw were back in the day.  Such a nice looking couple.  I think their attractiveness added much to the appeal of their Love Story.  I liked her wardrobe of basics for that movie.  She wore clothes well.  They hold up to this very day.  His clothes, not so much for a man, as men don't wear bell bottoms anymore.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

I was on a date and we went to see this.  I cried so hard. I must of scared him we never went out again. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Honored Contributor

There are 2 made for TV versions of Brians Song, one from 1971 and one from early 2000.s. 

Esteemed Contributor

@godi wrote:

I was on a date and we went to see this.  I cried so hard. I must of scared him we never went out again. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

😂

Esteemed Contributor

saw it christmas night,   that's when it same out in our area.   It was with my Jr. high school boyfriend.   Went with many other couples ,  cousins of mine and his .   I thought Ali McGraw was so beautiful!   I remember crying my eyes out at the end and the line "love means never having to say your sorry".   Had to watch it again ,  saw so many details I didn't pick up on all those years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

I saw it at the Rialto Theater.

I'm pretty sure I read the book first. I had the LP of the sound track. I loved the book & sound track.  I own the DVD.

Every time I hear "love means never having to say you're sorry"

I think "you should say you're sorry more often" LOL

I watched it last night.  I never thought Ali McGraw was a good actor.  When Ben said she won Oscar as Best Actress.I couldn't believe it.

Oliver's dad was a S O B