Respected Contributor

@Mary Bailey 

Ali MacGraw did not win an oscar for Love Story.  She was nominated though.  Below is the winner and other nominees in Best Actress in a Leading Role in 1970.

1970: Glenda Jackson (Women in Love) — beat Ali MacGraw (Love Story), Carrie Snodgress (Diary of a Mad Housewife), Jane Alexander (The Great White Hope), Sarah Miles (Ryan’s Daughter)

The book was also a huge Best Seller.  I had read the book prior to seeing the movie.  Book was probably publishes  in 1969 and movie came out very quickly. Both book and movie were huge hits.  Erich Segal made a ton of money.

Super Contributor

My my how things change. I saw the movie when it first came out and loved it. I watched it the other night and thought there sure was some poor acting. Or maybe it was just the script was kind of marmy.

Honored Contributor

Fashion?? EVERYONE I KNEW had a wool double breasted coat with a tie-in-the-front self belt made from REAL, HONEST TO GOODNESS 100% WOOL!

The state LAW was that they be short enough so that bending over always resulted in a question mark, but I HATED short clothes so mine was somewhere around knee length.

I really LOVED that coat. Wish I could remember when I got rid of it.