Trusted Contributor
Even though those shows did not reflect the real world, it it was a respresentation of what we ought to be. It did tell me that at that time, networks were mindful that "if you put garbage in, garbage comes out".
Respected Contributor

@Midmod wrote:
Even though those shows did not reflect the real world, it it was a respresentation of what we ought to be. It did tell me that at that time, networks were mindful that "if you put garbage in, garbage comes out".

I disagree.

Those shows showed a world that is impossible to attain. No one has a perfect life, perfect children and perfect problems that resolve in 30 minutes.

If that is what "we ought to be", where does that leave people who have abusive spouses, are single parents, or live in poverty? They can never be what they "ought to be". 

That is just cruel.

Trusted Contributor
I personally don't want to see the real world on tv. I live it every day, see the news every day.
I like TV that shows that at one time, networks wanted to show life as it should be, not as it is. No, it was not diverse. But I'm not talking about the characters themselves, but about the consciousness of the moral responsibility to provide Meaningful entertainment.

FYI, Robert Young suffered from severe depression which he self medicated with alcohol. Doctors eventually were able to proscribe a medicine to treat the depression.
Trusted Contributor
Mrs tyrion2,
People living in poverty, single parenting, all those situations can still benefit from core values. Not only benefit, but improve and thrive by applying such values in our lives.
By saying"what we ought to be", I meant be caring, considerate, respectful and patient with one another.
Blessings to you!
Respected Contributor

@Midmod wrote:
Mrs tyrion2,
People living in poverty, single parenting, all those situations can still benefit from core values. Not only benefit, but improve and thrive by applying such values in our lives.
By saying"what we ought to be", I meant be caring, considerate, respectful and patient with one another.
People living in poverty and single parents lack core values? 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is argumentative

Honored Contributor

Delighted to meet you here, @Midmod!

QVC Customer Care

QVC Customer Care

Valued Contributor

Nice thread @Midmod . I agree that there is so much garbage on tv and in the movies nowadays. I like having Amazon Prime Tv because it has so many shows from the 50's, 60's and 70's. If I want to watch an episode of The Waltons or I Love Lucy for example, I can select an episode and watch it at any time.

I hope you'll continue to post on these forums @Midmod , we need nice posters like you!