Honored Contributor

At the same time I don't advocate a return to what some might consider unrealistic, saccharin, 'vanilla' programming, I don't feel today's programming is necessarily all that couched in reality either... I also don't think bombarding television viewers with precocious children, semi-promiscuous teens and adults, violence and mayhem  are doing us any favors... Television is supposed to be entertaining, but it appears the entertainment industry, overall, has confused endless snark, sarcasm, violence and sexual innuendo with sophistication...

As far as TV offerings being based on what 'performs', I'm not so sure... Increasingly, TV seems to be focused on delivering messages and in promoting social 'causes'... More to the point, TV, in particular, seems to be a monkey see-monkey do proposition, which limits variety... If one show of a particular ilk is even marginally successful, they all fall in line to clone it, thereby grossly limiting viewing options, especially for those who don't have access to multiple sources for their entertainment...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

At the same time I don't advocate a return to what some might consider unrealistic, saccharin, 'vanilla' programming, I don't feel today's programming is necessarily all that couched in reality either... I also don't think bombarding television viewers with precocious children, semi-promiscuous teens and adults, violence and mayhem  are doing us any favors... Television is supposed to be entertaining, but it appears the entertainment industry, overall, has confused endless snark, sarcasm, violence and sexual innuendo with sophistication...

As far as TV offerings being based on what 'performs', I'm not so sure... Increasingly, TV seems to be focused on delivering messages and in promoting social 'causes'... More to the point, TV, in particular, seems to be a monkey see-monkey do proposition, which limits variety... If one show of a particular ilk is even marginally successful, they all fall in line to clone it, thereby grossly limiting viewing options, especially for those who don't have access to multiple sources for their entertainment...

I enjoy the classics,  "Hazel", "Cagney and Lacy" and "Maude" are some of my favorites.  The language on TV today is vile. I despise the court room drama shows that seem to run all morning and afternoon in my area.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Midmod 

@Midmod wrote:
Hi kaydee50,
Even though those shows did not reflect the real world, it it was a respresentation of what we ought to be. It did tell me that at that time, networks were mindful that "if you put garbage in, garbage comes out".
What I see now is something so disturbing, I don't watch at all unless it's coffee in the morning or couple time at night.
I know most people think it's old fashioned to feel this way, but it's just what I feel. And I raise my cup of Joe to anyone who wants to see more TV previous generations were fortunate enough to enjoy.

I lived through times and for me as of most valued families and people.  We had manners. Nothing was perfect, but today is bad.  Glad I was young then,  not young now in this crazy world.

Esteemed Contributor

Totally with you.  I am a rerun kind of gal.  New stuff not my choice.  I do however watch some "crime solving like shows" of a mild nature.  

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Midmod wrote:
Even though those shows did not reflect the real world, it it was a respresentation of what we ought to be. It did tell me that at that time, networks were mindful that "if you put garbage in, garbage comes out".

I disagree.

Those shows showed a world that is impossible to attain. No one has a perfect life, perfect children and perfect problems that resolve in 30 minutes.

If that is what "we ought to be", where does that leave people who have abusive spouses, are single parents, or live in poverty? They can never be what they "ought to be". 

That is just cruel.

@Ms tyrion2  @Midmod 

I had trouble relating to some of those shows because they were "pretentious" and not authentic.  People didn't really act like that .....  at least for more than a minute or two. 

While I agree that with a zillion channels competing for viewers' attention they tend to go overboard for ratings, no one benefits from seeing fake characters behaving in a way that isn't believable.