Honored Contributor

Re: Lori Loughlin Indicted on College Cheating Plot

This story is still breaking.  It's not purely about the donations (and shouldn't be IMO).  It's about the athletic departments listing these kids as athletes when they're not. 

And also people paid to take tests for them.

Pretty big scheme -- 50 indictments already.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/actors-coaches-ceos-among-50-people-charged-in-college-...

College athletics is fraught with crimes and immorality and this is a brand-new twist on it.  Ugh.  Wonder if they arrested these people ight before the conference tournaments and NCAA Tournament for maximum bad publicity?

Honored Contributor

It shocks me to think this is considered acceptable. If I had a less than stellar kid, I sure wouldn't want them taking a spot from a qualified student. Of course, I see nothing wrong with trade schools either - let your talent take you where it can, not $500,000 from mommy and daddy.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

This story is still breaking.  It's not purely about the donations (and shouldn't be IMO).  It's about the athletic departments listing these kids as athletes when they're not. 

And also people paid to take tests for them.

Pretty big scheme -- 50 indictments already.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/actors-coaches-ceos-among-50-people-charged-in-college-...

College athletics is fraught with crimes and immorality and this is a brand-new twist on it.  Ugh.  Wonder if they arrested these people ight before the conference tournaments and NCAA Tournament for maximum bad publicity?

So the coaches have been indicted on racketeering charges.  What a mess.  College athletics was already a giant mess without this.  

Respected Contributor

The schools involved should be big emphasis!
Respected Contributor

@LoriLori 

Most of the college athletic depts thought the kids were athletes because  they were told lies(re grades and athleticism) and because they were given doctored up pics of the kids being part of a crew (one example) for goodness sakes... 

Honored Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@LoriLori 

Most of the college athletic depts thought the kids were athletes because  they were told lies(re grades and athleticism) and because they were given doctored up pics of the kids being part of a crew (one example) for goodness sakes... 

I just read it also includes water polo.  Just heard tennis added to list.  Let's see what other less well-known sports come up.  This may be the tip of the iceberg. 

Anyway @KatieB  some coaches knew right away, some let them "play" a few times -- you can't fake crew or water polo or tennis.  That's why they're facing racketeering charges.  This is so bad.  These kids took spots away from legit athletes who deserved them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

I don't really blame the parents. If you've got the money and can afford to bribe your kids into a university they want to get in, I suspect many, maybe most, parents would do so. Now those rigging the tests and bribing the coaches for the parents deserve to be punished, but I don't really have an issue with parents doing whatever it takes to get their kids into the school of their choice. In the real world college admissions are as often about who you know as what you know. It's not all a meritocracy. A whole lot of people get into schools they're not really qualified for based on extenuating factors and a whole lot of deserving kids don't get in because they don't know the right people, or have the right connections.

Smiley SurprisedSeriously...no problem that they cheated to get into colleges...while those who earned the scores are told no? I am shocked....that someone would think big deal...their parents have the money...to bad for those who worked hard...and did not get admitted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Twins Mom wrote:
The schools involved should be big emphasis!

@Twins Mom  somebody maybe wasn't watching the store - Yale, UCLA, Stanford, UTexas......etc.??  we'll have to see, but this is not good publicity for the schools, at all.  

Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45you are correct and as the poster mirrors an ethics dilemma called the slippery slope or as Dr. Walter Williams calls it the "gotcha factor" When those individuals  get away with nefarious deeds and go unpunished (maybe even rewarded) others look at them and the situation and say, "What is wrong with me?  They do it and prosper and I follow the rules and see what I get." So, then more and more people enter that zone.  Gotcha

Respected Contributor

Wake Forest University's head volleyball coach, William Ferguson, has been suspended after he was charged with conspiracy to commit racketeering in a college admission cheating scheme.

U.S. Attorney Andrew E. Lelling said 50 people have been charged with racketeering in the alleged scheme, including 33 parents who “paid enormous sums” to guarantee their children’s admission into elite schools, regardless of their athletic ability, according to the indictment.