Honored Contributor

Re: Lori Loughlin Indicted on College Cheating Plot

[ Edited ]

@TY wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

Does everyone need to burn their Mossimo clothing?

I didn't burn mine, but I did gather up the Target Mossimo clothes I had including jeans, tops and scarves and donated them as I won't wear clothes associated with this brand anymore. 

That, of course, is an individual choice, but the brand is a world-wide fashion brand that is sold at numerous retail outlets and is no longer even owned by Loughlin's husband... I don't believe I own much, if anything, from this brand but to the extent I do, I purchased it with my money and prior to any of this happening and have no intention of ridding myself of items that I obtained honestly simply to make a statement. Each to their own, but while they did wrong, those purchasing items from this brand didn't.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I dislike organized boycotts; sometimes I'll even buy a boycotted product out of spite.

But we each do what we need to do to feel better.

Esteemed Contributor

It’s how she goes forward right now that will determine what career or just public opinion people have of her. She did herself no favors ic court. She had her arms acrossed and people in the court called her defiant. She didn’t murder anyone. But she needs some self reflection and some sincere humility going forward. Not phony PR acting job crying. Why did she feel the to commit crimes? She doesn’t owe us that answer, she owes herself that answer.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

This hits close to home because my oldest daughter got her Masters degree from Georgetown.  She picked that school because she WANTED to do a dissertation and wanted a Masters in International Foreign Affairs and a minor in Business French.

I remember that my husband was told "If she'd gone to any other Virgina school (she graduated from UVA) we wouldn't have accepted her into the program".

At the time my late husband laughed and said, "Humph!  I'd say if you have the money...THAT's good enough for Georgetown".

She has a friend on the committee that accepts people at one of the colleges.  It's stupid that it's all hush as to how these kids are accepted.

I do remember that my daughter wanted to go to William and Mary and didn't get accepted but was wait listed.  She went bonkers so my husband actually called the college.  He wouldn't let it go; so finally they told him she didn't get in because she hadn't worked enough during high school.....

Again, my husband flipped.  He said, "Going to school and making straight A's WAS her job." 

It's like they say on TV.  In this area, at least, a college degree doesn't mean a lot.  Most people are expected to have Master's degrees.

I think it's all totally gotten out of hand.  Meanwhile, my late husband (who was a builder) couldn't find enough plumbers, carpenters, etc.

My oldest daughter's laundry room flooded this week.  She had to call around to find a plumber.  Long story short.....it cost her $200 to get the lines 'snaked'.  My granddaughters and daughter all have hair down their waist (a no-brainer).  So, the plumber made $200 for working under 45 minutes....good for him.

My granddaughter is going to become a Dr.  I said, "We need a plumber in the family.  Forget about a Dr."

I'm anxious to see how this guy broke down the amount of money required.  For instance, was it depending on the school, the amount of extra time given on the SAT's?  Just what determined how much money each parent had to pay to get their kid in these schools.

As far as Ms. Laughlin's daughters knowing or not knowing. Come on!  They (supposedly) posed on an exercise rower to make it look like they were rowing a boat?

My best friend's son rowed for William and Mary University.  I used to sit through the competitions.  I know how hard those kids worked to be on the teams.  No one's talking about how they must feel knowing what was required of them versus these kids....... 

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

I dislike organized boycotts; sometimes I'll even buy a boycotted product out of spite.

I love organized boycotts.  So many times the "little people" don't have a say -- boycotts, particularly of sponsors, are a way to have a say.  Especially when it comes to tv, where if you're not a Nielsen family you don't matter at all unless you boycott a show's sponsors.

Why would you buy a boycotted product out of spite?  

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Yeah, I bet if Lori and hubby offered to buy new equipment, boats and supply uniforms to the crew team at least one of the offspring might have been admitted, without any crime have been committed.

There are very strict rules about what can and cannot be given to athletes.  That's why all the football and basketball scandals.  You can't just buy stuff for any athlete or team.

Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

[edited]

Her daughter Olivia Jade has lost her social media influencer sponsorships with Sephora, HP, and Tresemme.

This is something that makes my head explode:  the "social media influencer" aka "influenster."  I'm not that old but this makes me feel like a cranky old lady.  These ladies, on youtube and twitter and instagram and FB, get everything for free and say great things about it so they can get more and more things for free and then they get sponsors like Sephora and OMG,  millions of girls follow them like sheep.

They don't have to have any qualifications (Olivia Jade has less than zero) and the more followers they have the more they are handed a lifestyle they don't deserve which gives them even more followers and even more -- on and on.

I wish parents of girls this generation would instill in them that they have to make up their own mind and not follow the "influencers" who are raking it in off of them or the Kardashians or anyone but their own taste!  Obviously lots of parents aren't doing this because these so many of these kids and young ladies have millions of followers.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori  I completely agree with you. While I'm sure there's been an upside to the pervasive addiction to social media, I've yet to learn what it is. To pay some nobody who never earned a position of authority to post little videos 'infuencing' others just strikes me as unhealthy.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

I love organized boycotts.  So many times the "little people" don't have a say -- boycotts, particularly of sponsors, are a way to have a say.  Especially when it comes to tv, where if you're not a Nielsen family you don't matter at all unless you boycott a show's sponsors.

Why would you buy a boycotted product out of spite?  

I would, if I disagreed with the reason behind the boycott.

Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

It’s how she goes forward right now that will determine what career or just public opinion people have of her. She did herself no favors ic court. She had her arms acrossed and people in the court called her defiant. She didn’t murder anyone. But she needs some self reflection and some sincere humility going forward. Not phony PR acting job crying. Why did she feel the to commit crimes? She doesn’t owe us that answer, she owes herself that answer.

I think her reported demeanor in court speaks volumes about the disconnect between who she really is and the image she packaged and sold to the public... She might make a come back. A lot of people are justifiably indignant now, but have notoriously short memories. I don't personally think she'll capture the level of success she enjoyed with Hallmark, but who knows... Should I never see her in the media again, it'll be fine with me. I never liked her and now I have no respect for her. I also have never felt she was particularly talented.