Respected Contributor

Lori Loughlin Indicted on College Cheating Plot

[ Edited ]

Lori Loughlin, from HMMs Garage Sale Mysteries has been indicted along with her husband and others on a college cheating plot whereby they paid off college coaches and others so that their kids could get into well known schools without having the necessary grades to get in  (Wake Forest being one of them).

Edited to remove link 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lori Loughlin Indicted on College Cheating Plot

This is not shocking because these folks aren't the first wealthy parents who have greased the right palms to get their children into prestigious schools.  That said, it's about time some of these parents ... and the schools... were called out for it.  

Honored Contributor

Yahoo news is reporting that Felicity huffman is involved as well.

Honored Contributor

I don't really blame the parents. If you've got the money and can afford to bribe your kids into a university they want to get in, I suspect many, maybe most, parents would do so. Now those rigging the tests and bribing the coaches for the parents deserve to be punished, but I don't really have an issue with parents doing whatever it takes to get their kids into the school of their choice. In the real world college admissions are as often about who you know as what you know. It's not all a meritocracy. A whole lot of people get into schools they're not really qualified for based on extenuating factors and a whole lot of deserving kids don't get in because they don't know the right people, or have the right connections.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Regular Contributor

This is nothing new except for prosecuting someone for it.  Wealthy people have been donating money and buildings since this country began so their kids can go there.

Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

I don't really blame the parents. If you've got the money and can afford to bribe your kids into a university they want to get in, I suspect many, maybe most, parents would do so. Now those rigging the tests and bribing the coaches for the parents deserve to be punished, but I don't really have an issue with parents doing whatever it takes to get their kids into the school of their choice. In the real world college admissions are as often about who you know as what you know. It's not all a meritocracy. A whole lot of people get into schools they're not really qualified for based on extenuating factors and a whole lot of deserving kids don't get in because they don't know the right people, or have the right connections.

I would hope most parents would never do anything like what you described...  Being from Durham, NC, I know my parents would have never paid off anyone so that I could get into Duke University...  Never.   

Honored Contributor

Agreed, @KatieB.   The whole corrupt scheme, no matter how often people believe it occurs, is horrible, and corrosive to values we try to instill.

I wonder why these actresses would ally themselves with fraud.  Monetary temptation?   That part is a bit baffling.

Frequent Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

You don't have an issue with bribery? Wow. 

Honored Contributor

whether it has been going on for ages or not, it is GOOD that this is getting some mainstream exposure, no matter WHO is involved. the more we learn about it the better.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Agreed, @KatieB.   The whole corrupt scheme, no matter how often people believe it occurs, is horrible, and corrosive to values we try to instill.

I wonder why these actresses would ally themselves with fraud.  Monetary temptation?   That part is a bit baffling.

Probably because as previously stated, pay offs are so common they didn't give it a second thought.