Honored Contributor

Look at the old commercials back in the 60's

It's so funny to see these now.  The way they use to sell stuff in the commercials is funny to see now.

I didn't know or remember the Flintstones selling cigarettes.

They had a chimp pumping up an innertube to sell as a tire.

GloCoat, had a plastic thing to keep black heel marks from happening

Remember the hillside singers "I'd like to teach the world to sing..."

Wow Roy and Dale on Jello Instant pudding.  (How funny now).

Honored Contributor

Re: Look at the old commercials back in the 60's

Of all time my fav is "I'd like to teach the world to sing".

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Esteemed Contributor

Here's the Truth In Advertising timeline.

https://www.truthinadvertising.org/timeline/

Includes the first celebrity endorsement, the first TV ad, the Listerine lawsuit, Florida Land Fraud, diet frauds, cigarette settlements, etc...up through today's Blogger endorsements and the rise in "Influencer Marketing".

Honored Contributor

I remember the slinky toy commercial and song... now you rarely see a toy commercial. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZL6RGkPjws

Trusted Contributor

Rock'em Sock'em Robots, with Bobby Buntrock, the little boy on "Hazel" (one of my favorite shows from the 1960s):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Y9IBnAcls

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden  If you watch children's TV, the toy commercials are on non stop.  You're right that they are rarely on the network channels anymore.

Back in the " good old days" at least we had an idea of what was being advertised.  Today, I often wonder what the heck is being offered.  I have no idea.

I miss the catchy phrases "where's the beef" and the sing along jingles. "Brush your teeth with Pepsodent, wonder where the yellow went."

Respected Contributor

Remember Madge and the Palmolive commerical ?  "You're soaking in it".

Respected Contributor

@Carmie 

I still have a "where's the beef" potholder that I use every day. 

Respected Contributor

Practically the only thing you see on TV now is the advertisement for all of the drugs.   You can't even watch one show without seeing some actor or actress who we are suppose to be believe is just a regular person pushing the latest wonder drugs.

My husband and I frequently comment on how different the commercials used to be many years ago.   They were fun to watch and even if you became annoyed at their silliness it never bothered you too much.  

Mrs. Olson and her coffee and Mr. Wippel and his "don't squeeze the Charmin".   One of my favorites was Florence Henderson advertising Crisco.  

I'd much sooner see those types of commercials again instead of the depressing ones that tell us how sick we might become unless we take these drugs.  Then of course you are told how deadly the side effects of these drugs might be to us.   

I really wish they could put a stop to all of them.   Your doctor should be the only one to talk about what medication might be beneficial to you.

Honored Contributor

I don't have all of the details, but dairy farmers have been upset because various nuts (almond) and other things have been described as milk, when others say they aren't milk and they didn't come from cows.

They say it comes under truth in advertising.