Honored Contributor

Wow!  I have a new obsession.  This Live PD is different from the previous one's I've posted about.  This is coming from a very different police department.  These guys don't mess around!

So, I live right outside of the D.C.area (which as everyone knows has a very, very high murder rate.

Anyway, this channel has police from the East Coast, Connecticut, Maryland, etc.

These guys don't mess around.  I just saw where the policeman was apologizing to the lady saying (paraphrasing), "So we had a shoot out.  Mam...your car got kinda shot up a little bit.  I'm sorry.  A representative from the police department will be here to talk to you about your car".

I'm thinking, "Whoa!  This show is very different from the one where Dan Abrams comes on and talks about what we see (which is very seldom a shoot out).

One guy had to come out and clean his squad car because a drunk he'd been carrying had peed all in the back seat.  His boss came out with disinfectant and a mop and said (paraphrasing), "When you have a mess in your office....you clean it up.  Well, this is our 'office' so we must clean it up ourselves....we are responsible for keeping it clean".  

These are all of the things these guys go through.  The more I see these shows, well I see how difficult their job is.

It's too bad more people don't see what these men and women do every day.

I'm like a lot of people in that I get frustrated with the police (it only takes one bad apple).  However, (as most know) there aren't many that are bad, thank goodness.

I don't understand why anyone would do a job where they so often these days get so much grief from the public.

I have a police Sargent living one door down from me.  He's probably good at his job.  But I've heard his personality stinks.  He's a good father and husband (I've heard) but well......

I don't know if I mentioned this....if I did....skip over it.

So one day last week I had pulled my car over on the way to meet my friend.  I heard my phone signal I'd gotten a text.  Normally, I ignore it.  However, my youngest daughter was traveling here to Va from Denver with her dog (in her car).  She was alone and I was worried.

I pulled into a side street of a development.  I was totally off the road, motor running.

Suddenly, a car pulled up behind me and sat there.  It was an all black sports car!  The windows were so tinted you couldn't see anything inside the car!

Eventually, I stuck my arm out of the window and motioned to go on ahead....no movement in the car.  I stuck my arm out again....no movement in the car!

I finally pulled out, made a U turn and went on out of the development and on my way (I'd read the text....she was stopping to go to the bathroom).

When I got to my friend I told her about it.  She said, "Don't you remember?  That was the cop car that travels up and down the parkway?  We've talked about it before!"

Then I remembered!  I've seen that car around everywhere and I remember it was a cop car!  

He was sitting behind me running my license plates to see what I was up to.

It was the middle of the day.  It was a huge development (much like I live in with 1 acre lots.  Of course, everyone looked like they were at work (no cars in drievways).

I didn't pull into the driveways because they are like mine.  My driveway is 200 ft long.  If you pull into my driveway, you are coming to my house.

I didn't want these people to get me on their cameras thinking I was up to no good so I pulled off of the road there.

Anyway, I have mixed feelings about the hole thing.  

If you guys knew me, you'd know, I'm the kind of person who doesn't mind confrontation.  I don't seek it out, but I'll stand up to anyone.

If the windows had not been so tinted I'd have gone there to see what the heck they were doing.  But I have enough sense to no go near a car with very, very dark tinted windows.

Honored Contributor

Re: Live PD - Police Patrol!

It's not a good idea to approach any car by yourself.  You can't be too careful.

Honored Contributor

@GCR18  Well.....You probably didn't read my post from sometime back....(a quick reminder).

So, it was a cold January afternoon.  I was on my way to get an MRI.  I was running late and was doing maybe 38 to 40 in a 35 mile zone....SPEED TRAP.

So, the cop turns on his lights, etc (the whole 9 yards).  I pull into the shopping center.  I sat there.  You are not supposed to get out of your car...that much I know.

I waited and I waited and I waited....(get the idea)?

Then finally, I walked over to the car and said, "So ...what's going on?"

The cop says, "You were going 38 miles an hour in a 35 mile zone".  I said, "OK, so give me a ticket.  I'm late for an appoint for an MRI".  (He was still sitting in his car.)  

He didn't want to get out of his car because it was freezing outside.....but I'm standing there talking to him....

He said, "Here"  (handing me a clipboard with a piece of paper on it and a pen stuck in it).

I read what it said.  When I went to sign it the pen (probably due to the weather) would not write.  

I said, "You'll have to give me a pen that writes...this thing won't write".  He reached in and handed me another pen (through a barely opened window).

I signed the thing and slid it back through the slit in the window.

I recently posted the scenario of me going to court and that experience (which was interesting and I didn't mind it at all).

The end game was I went to a classroom and had a good time, learned some stuff and there's nothing on my record at all.

Oh!  Did I mention it was another unmarked car?  It was!

I guess I'd have been sitting there until well ..... maybe Hell froze over....

Was I upset?  You betcha!  Did I loose my temper?  No!  Not until I got back in my car!

I have more sense than to go up to a car that the windows are all blacked out and I have no idea who or what they want.

When I finally walked up to the unmarked car it was in a shopping center with a 7-11 a few feet from me.  There were people in the 7-11 walking in and out.

As I said in my post.  There are a few bad apples.  Unfortunately, they spoil it for all of the good one's because the good one's don't make the news.

So, know this.  When people say you can go up to 5 miles over the speed limit...know this...

Like everything in this day and age...it's "ALL SUBJECTIVE"...especially when it comes to the law...unfortunately.

Trusted Contributor

Those are actually from Live PD and those areas were with them in the beginning. They just take clips from the old shows and sometimes ones that were filmed that never were seen. I think they started Police Patrol originally for when they were on vacation for the live show.

Bridgeport Ct and Calvert Maryland were two of my favorites so I'm bummed they aren't on anymore. Not sure about Calvert, but Bridgeport was one of the first cities where they decided it gave the city a bad name. I think that's ridiculous. Every place has crime and these cops give there cities a good name in my opinion. I really loved the guys from Calvert. They were so funny.

Honored Contributor

I know they are.  I realized it when I saw that guy they call “Sticks”.

He was younger and riding on patrol.  There does seem to be a difference of the 2 shows I watched.  Those two showed much more violent episodes.  It was quite different from the later A&E episodes.

Honored Contributor

I’ve been catching up with Live PD ...trying to clear my DVR.

They mentioned a state trooper who was shot in the head but has fully recovered and back to work.

Something flashed up on the screen and I had to rewind it twice because the number was so large, I couldn’t believe it!

57,000 law enflocement officers were hurt in the line of duty in 2016!  That’s incredible!

Out where I live I see people in military fatigues quite often.  I worked at the Pentagon for Lt Colonels and Generals.  Whenever I see someone in uniform I always say, “ Thank you for your service”.

However, I don’t remember seeing anyone wearing law enforcement uniforms.  It never occurred to me until now.

Do any of you see any or many law enforcement wearing uniforms where you live?  I wonder if they’re told to change first?  

Trusted Contributor

I generally only seem cops in uniform when they're working. Maybe if they make a quick stop on the way home. I think if they have other stuff to do they will change before leaving work. If you're walking around in uniform people will consider you to be working. I read someplace that a cop was going to night school right after work and he wore his uniform. The school wanted him to not wear his gun, but if you're in uniform you want to carry your weapon because people see you as working.

Honored Contributor

My police officer husband would never wear his uniform unless he was on duty.  It really isn't a good idea.

People don't respond well to the uniform and verbally attack, or come up to him and ask him to "do something" about their neighbors, etc.  

When he tells them he is not on duty or not in the township or city where he is employed and they must call 911 or dispatch, they get nasty.

Police Officers are a moving target today.  They don't advertise what they do for a living when off duty.