Esteemed Contributor

Re: Liquid Plummber Commercial

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

I'm certainly not morally outraged or scarred for life by these kinds of ads, but I'm not a big fan of bathroom humor. It might slice to the lowest common denominator, but I'm not sure that's a good thing. When a commercial really bugs me, I go out of my way to not buy the product, so I'm not sure merely being 'memorable' is accomplishing much.

I won't be boycotting a product that tests my sensibillities in an ad campaign.  Having a dislike for the product and the commercial are not the same.  It would bite my nose to spite myself so to speak @stevieb.  That's just dumb.....

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

24 Pictures of Plumber's Crack Spotted in the Wild

173836.gif

@Mz iMacYou "cracked" me up with that YouTube!

Honored Contributor

@Caligurll

There should have been a "may cause temporaty blindness" warning. Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@itiswhatitis @Oznell @Perkup@  @shoptilyadropagain  @Mz iMac  If you don't like a commercial, get on the company's website, find "contact us" and let them know why you object to it.  I do this frequently, and I assume others do too because the ones I've objected to have been short-lived.  It's so easy to do with email.  I haven't seen this particular commercial.  I think the ad agencies have a bunch of kids with no sense of propriety working for them. 

@Kachina624

That's a good idea to email the companies and let them know when we object to something that's particularly tasteless and unacceptable!

Oh that Liquid Plummer commercial is tame compared to others...There was one that wasVERY offensive it was a Ford car commercial and a cat gets decapitated by a sun roof and the cat's headless body slides down the car............Talk about outrage....Ford said it was intended as a "viral marketing" tactic - designed to be sent via the internet from one individual to another - although this idea was subsequently rejected by Ford on taste grounds. A clip showing a pigeon being catapulted to its death by a bonnet springing open was approved. The cat commercial was released back in 2004 and it's STILL being circulated via You Tube to this day!  They actually think this stuff is funny????!!!!!! They are mentally ill!!!  It's unacceptable and reprehensible!!! The person that came up with this concept should have been fired and I would throw his rear end in jail for promoting animal cruelty.......

It seems humor these days only consists of bathroom humor (Liquid Plumber commercial) or SICK or CRUEL or DISTASTEFUL humor, or lewd and crude stuff. There used to be some actual funny and clever commercials but no more.....It is like a deranged 10 year old comes up with the concepts these days.......it appears just a bunch of immature idiots are running the advertising agencies.........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

I'm certainly not morally outraged or scarred for life by these kinds of ads, but I'm not a big fan of bathroom humor. It might slice to the lowest common denominator, but I'm not sure that's a good thing. When a commercial really bugs me, I go out of my way to not buy the product, so I'm not sure merely being 'memorable' is accomplishing much.

I won't be boycotting a product that tests my sensibillities in an ad campaign.  Having a dislike for the product and the commercial are not the same.  It would bite my nose to spite myself so to speak @stevieb.  That's just dumb.....

Thanks @itiswhatitis but if it's all the same to you I'll shop my way and you shop yours... Obviously, if it's a product I want or would buy anyway, the ad isn't going to matter one way or the other, but if it's a new product they're trying to induce me to try or a product for which there's a viable alternative then yes, I'll avoid products based on commercials... Why wouldn't I... I'm not in the habit of rewarding things or people I find annoying...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Thanks @itiswhatitis but if it's all the same to you I'll shop my way and you shop yours... Obviously, if it's a product I want or would buy anyway, the ad isn't going to matter one way or the other, but if it's a new product they're trying to induce me to try or a product for which there's a viable alternative then yes, I'll avoid products based on commercials... Why wouldn't I... I'm not in the habit of rewarding things or people I find annoying...

Yeah @stevieb, you spoke your piece and so have I.  Now what to we do?  You shop your way and I'll shop mine......You already told us how you would do it......I got that part, thus my response to you!!!!

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

It reminds me of the old SNL bit about the Norge repairman. Gilda Radner and Bill Murray as the nerds. Hysterical.

I probably have a bit of 12 year old boy humor in me because I find the commercial funny

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I thought this commercial was disgusting.  It is one thing for adults to see (bad enough) but children watch TV too.  What kind of example are they setting.....gutter mentality? 

As suggested in comments here, I did email the company.  By the way, Liquid Plumr is owned by Clorox ....Glad Wraps also under same company.  Here is response I received.  Needless to say, I will not being buying this product or others in this company.

"....Thank you for reaching out to us at Liquid Plumr.  Our new Liquid-Plumr advertising campaign takes a light-hearted approach to celebrating that we all have the power of a plumber within us to tackle problems like a tough clog.  The advertising salutes everyday plumbers by playfully highlighting the plumber's bum.  By turning a humorous stereotype into a badge of honor, we wanted to portray empowerment and confidence.  The idea of celebrating our inner plumber was inspired by our brand name, Liquid-Plumr and our  history of providing the power of a plumber in bottle. "

BUY DRAINO INSTEAD!

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

Has anyone seen the Liquid Plummer commercial where folks have part of their rear ends on display?  I don't understand the commercial and don't want to see the azsz either...

@itiswhatitis

????    What folks?

Honored Contributor

@walker wrote:

I thought this commercial was disgusting.  It is one thing for adults to see (bad enough) but children watch TV too.  What kind of example are they setting.....gutter mentality? 

As suggested in comments here, I did email the company.  By the way, Liquid Plumr is owned by Clorox ....Glad Wraps also under same company.  Here is response I received.  Needles to say, I will not being buying this product or others in this company.

"....Thank you for reaching out to us at Liquid Plumr.  Our new Liquid-Plumr advertising campaign takes a light-hearted approach to celebrating that we all have the power of a plumber within us to tackle problems like a tough clog.  The advertising salutes everyday plumbers by playfully highlighting the plumber's bum.  By turning a humorous stereotype into a badge of honor, we wanted to portray empowerment and confidence.  The idea of celebrating our inner plumber was inspired by our brand name, Liquid-Plumr and our  history of providing the power of a plumber in bottle. "

BUY DRAINO INSTEAD!

They explained their position in a respectful and kind way, and tried to relate the comany's lighthearted appreciation of plumbers to you.  They sent you a nice email even though it wasn't what you wanted to hear.