Esteemed Contributor

I remember that my mom's car had an 8-track tape player in it and I loved to go on long car trips so we could listen to her Linda Ronstadt tapes.  Those were the days.  😂  My faves were "When will I be loved?"  and "You're no good, you're no good, you're no good, baby, you're no good."  ❤️

Respected Contributor

I believe she was also in the Pirates of Penzance and La Boheme...opera as well as rock, folk and hispanic music

Honored Contributor
@wildcat fan. "I'm gonna say it again ..."
Respected Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

"Queens" are not opening acts...

1963: The Beatles for Roy Orbison
1966: The Doors for Them
1970: Elton John for Derek and the Dominos
1974: Queen for Mott the Hoople
1978: AC/DC for Rainbow
2008: Demi Lovato for the Jonas Brothers
2008: Taylor Swift for Rascal Flatts
2009: Katy Perry for No Doubt
2009: Lady Gaga for The Pussycat Dolls

Interesting.  I don't know if all the opening acts you mention are "queens" or not.  And who is Rainbow?  Anyway, it is common for musicians starting out to be opening acts.  I have no quarrel with that.  I thought the statement made by the poster was that Linda R was the opening act for Neil Young at the height of her career.

off topic:   I was there!!!  Long Live the Hoople  Woman Wink

As far as Rainbow goes, if my memory serves correctly (no googling here), Rainbow was a short-lived "supergroup" featuring nimble guitarist Richie Blackmore who I believe used to be the guitarist in Deep Purple.  (70's)  They had a big hit w/'Sea of Dreams'.

I was never a big fan of West coast pop - The Eagles (although I do appreciate them more now), Fleetwood Mac (I appreciate Stevie Nicks now), Ronstadt, etc....

OK, and now back to our regularly scheduled program.....Woman Tongue

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

She was the Queen of Rock and Roll....in her time.  She had an amazing voice and stage presence and she was a huge superstar.  I suppose she was the Beyonce of her time.  Thirty years from now, someone who hasn't been born yet will be saying she doesn't thing Beyonce was so great and she doesn't know why people talk about her.....because Beyonce is no....whoever the star of the moment will be at that time.  That is the way these things go. 

Trusted Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

So just wonering what you think about Linda Ronstadt.  I thought she was fine, but I was not a fan.  Maybe she was before my time.  CNN has been relentlessly promoting a documentary about her, where Bonnie Raitt refers to her as the Beyonce of her time, and she is referred to as the queen of rock'n roll.  This sounds crazy to me.  I have never heard of her referred to in this way, and never thought she was that big a star.  But maybe that's just me, maybe I was too young.  What do you think?

How old are you?

Respected Contributor

I've loved Linda Ronstadt since she was a member of the Stone Poneys. Her voice was glorious, and she could sing a multitude of genres.

My sisters and I saw her in concert several times. She was the ultimate.

I was saddened when i heard she had Parkinson's. Her singing has brought me hours of pleasure.

Trusted Contributor

Linda Ronstadt and Beyonce couldn't be more different.  I heard Linda live in September of 1970.  I had never heard of her, but a friend wanted to see her, so I went along with her.  This was well before she had "made it," but she began to become known not long afterwards.  Her album Silk Purse had been released earlier that year.

She was performing in a hole in the wall teeny, tiny coffee house in Georgetown in DC, in a basement and in a tiny room.  There were some chairs set up and there couldn't have been more than 10 or so other people there. My friend and I saw in a front row seat.

Linda came into the room in her blue jeans and and carrying her tambourine.  No backup singers, no band, nothing but Linda herself, who was looking rather intimidated.  Then she began to sing. I was instantly blown away!!!  Her voice was as clear and pure as crystal, and she put so much of herself into every song.

Now I had done some choral singing a few years back under a very demanding director who was a perfectionist.  Not only was I listening to a magnificent voice, she obviously had had some good training as she was musically perfect.  She relaxed as her small audience responded very positively and started enjoying herself.

It was a concert that would long be remembered, and I went out and bought Silk Purse the very next day.  I have been buying her albums ever since.

Her talent was very versatile and she later started singing operettas with aplomb.

Respected Contributor

@Barbara in Virginia I was fortunate to see her and Kevin Kline in Pirates of Penzance!  Her voice was beautiful, so clear and perfect for Gilbert & Sullivan.

I have, always, enjoyed her.  Her range amazes me.  her Nelson Riddle arrangements are to die for!  Love her work, love her voice...........

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@sidsmom 

Beyonce's 7/11

@SilleeMee   You are correct.  It's not a slam against Beyonce but she does use autotune as well as some other current artists.

However, autotune will not help a person who cannot sing sound better.

It does not fix poor singing skills.

You have to have relatively good pipes to begin with.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh