Honored Contributor

Re: Linda Ronstadt

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

LR didn't have autotune. What you heard was 100% real.

@SilleeMee 

Autotune wasn't created until Cher used it for Believe.

They didn't have the technology back in the 70s.🤷‍♀️

And people are mentioning Beyoncé...she doesn't use autotune, either.

100% real.

Esteemed Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

The comparison made between Linda Ronstadt and Beyonce was not about vocal range but rather star power.  ...

@qbetzforreal I agree, which was my point.  I just didn't care for the posters' statements that the only reason Beyonce is a "queen" is because of PR.  Bonnie Rait was, I think saying, that Linda was as big a star then as Beyonce is now.  Linda does have a lot of vocal fans on this board, but I just don't remember Linda being a dominant rock n roll artist.  She certainly had a lot of hits, which I would call pop.  Maybe it's just a matter of my taste in music.

@NYCLatinaMe- There are many genre of rock and roll.  And back in the day, Linda was a rock and roll star along with the Eagles.  She was very dominate.  Perhaps as you mentioned were too young.

Esteemed Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

And Prince opened for the Rolling Stones. @NYCLatinaMe 

Oh I wished I was there!  Super fan of Prince and Rolling Stones fan too!  Did you go?  When was that?  

@NYCLatinaMe- No, I didn't go. It was the early 80s at L.A. Coliseum.  My sister went.  Prince got booed.

Oh well!  He was new.  I was in college then, a friend introduced me to Prince.  We danced a lot to Prince around that stereo!  Motown and Michael Jackson were popular at the college parties, as well as techno, disco, Madonna, depending on the party.  Great times!  I owned the Rollling Stones Hot Rocks 1964–1971, which I am sure I purchased around that time, and I also enjoyed and played in my dorm room.

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:
@NYCLatinaMe"Ronstadt in her prime could sing circles around Beyonce." She certainly did address her voice.

I don't know how circles characterizes a voice.  Beyonce sings with a more powerful voice that Linda R and has a bigger range.  And this is not the equipment.  The same can be said of other women of Linda Rs generation or earlier.  Linda R has a pleasant voice and can sing well, but I just don't notice anything that would make her voice like that of a "queen of rock and roll".  Think Aretha Franklin and Tina Turner, who had impressive voices and were around earlier.  I think Linda has a smaller range and less powerful voice, but maybe I'll just watch the documentary and learn something I don't know.  Hopefully they'll have some of her singing.

You say you hope the documentary has some samples of her singing, so pretty clearly you've not heard much of her material. I'll tell you what, go and listen to representative samples of the full panoply of Ronstadt's recordings (from folk to country rock, to rock classics, to operetta, to American classics, to country to Cajun to Latino and so on...) and then rethink the range, versatility and power thing. Otherwise, if you want to know what her impact was on music, go and read her Wickipedia page. 

I honestly don't understand why having Bonnie Raitt, also a legend, compare Lind'a's success in the 70's, 80's, 90's and early 2000's to  Beyonce's success  in the late 90's into the 2000's should be so upsetting... They're two different women with completely different styles and yet both have had huge success and left a significant mark on the music industry. From what I've seen most women singers aren't competing with each other as much as they're supporting each other. When Linda was inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame, many of her female contemporaries were there to sing her praises, not compare track records...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom 

Beyonce's 7/11

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@sidsmom 

Beyonce's 7/11

? Birthday?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

The comparison made between Linda Ronstadt and Beyonce was not about vocal range but rather star power.  ...

@qbetzforreal I agree, which was my point.  I just didn't care for the posters' statements that the only reason Beyonce is a "queen" is because of PR.  Bonnie Rait was, I think saying, that Linda was as big a star then as Beyonce is now.  Linda does have a lot of vocal fans on this board, but I just don't remember Linda being a dominant rock n roll artist.  She certainly had a lot of hits, which I would call pop.  Maybe it's just a matter of my taste in music.

Could very well be. We're all different. Different strokes. No right or wrong where our musical choices are concerned.

Woman Wink

And for the record, while I always enjoyed Linda's music, my least favorite of her recordings were those remakes of classic pop songs she often did. I'd guess they were pretty much included to sell singles and ensure radio air time. Her best work was only occasionally heard on the radio with the possible exception of several songs from the Heart Like a Wheel record.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Team Linda....

Honored Contributor

I want to be at THAT concert!

@qbetzforreal wrote:

And Prince opened for the Rolling Stones. @NYCLatinaMe 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NYCLatinaMe :

Think you'll enjoy her and her band rockin' this cover of "You're No Good"... it hit #1 on Billbord's charts in 1975.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0vJNp5asqc