Honored Contributor

Re: Linda Ronstadt, "The Sound of My Voice"

Brought back so many memories!   Loved it!

Honored Contributor

There are singers who come and go, some one hit wonders, others with short lived careers.  Then there are the greats, their music timeless and unique, their talents cannot be duplicated by others.  I could list so many of the singers/groups I regard as legends but it would be a very long list going from the fifties to the eighties since that is my frame of reference.

Ronstadt was and is a legend in the music world.  She has a unique voice and was very popular in her time.  I loved Different Drum, a song which to me said so much and meant a lot during that time of my life.  I salute this singer, her mark in the musical world has been made, it will continue because it is timeless.

Trusted Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

It was so good.  I forgot how prolific she was.  Always on the charts, for hears. Beautiful voice.  Omg, and emmylou....it was just a great biography. I will watch it again.

i know I am older, 71, soon 72...but is popular music sort of dead now?  Will there ever be the music they had during the 50, 60's and 70'. And early 80's.  Music was just great, now a days it is just vocal acrobats, talk  and tech sound.  Will there ever be another Beatles, stones, and music so inovative and lasting like the glory days of the 70's.music so  profound that it is still around, and those who are still alive are still touring.  Besides a few singers today... they will not be around or remembered in 20 years. 

stones

beatles

byrds, eagles, 

doobie brothers

linda ronstadt

jessie coulter

rita coolridge

jeff beck

paul butterfield

barry manilow

bette midler

john lennon

eddie van halen

bob dylan

tom petty

bangles

etc

Etc

Try 50 years!!  Many of these artists having been active now for over 50 years.

My last concert was Bob Dylan at Illinois State University this past October 29 that was part of his "Never Ending Tour" that has been going on for the last 30 years.  Been waiting to see that "Legend" since 1972!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:
I loved this doc too and want to see it again, although I could barely stand the few minutes when she was singing with Parkinsons (or trying to) because she just had to sing the song.

Gosh I've always thought Emmy Lou Harris was so pretty but she's gotten even better looking as she has aged. The woman is gorgeous and has beautiful white hair.

I've always loved Ronstadt's singing. I will play her greatest hits CD in the car today as I go about my errands.

She's been rocking her white hair for years now, and looks better than ever!

Esteemed Contributor

Wonderful film! CNN's website said it will available through the end of the month. 

Respected Contributor

Thoroughly enjoyed it as well!  She's only one of a select few who could sing several vocal styles and sound fantastic in each and every one.  Her pure, crystal clear voice is  captivating!

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Trusted Contributor

I've been wanting to see this.  CNN is playing it again Saturday evening.  DVR set in case I forget.

thanks Ladies.

Esteemed Contributor

I love Linda Ronstadt!! She had the most beautiful sweet yet powerful voice. Unlike many female artists today Linda didn't sell sex.Yet she was so sexy. She never came on stage half naked.She didn't dance provocatively.She just stood there with her microphone & captivated her audience.

Linda was sexy & beautiful without even trying. She was fierce & carved out a place for strong independent women in the music industry.

It's so sad that she can no longer sing. But thankfully we can forever enjoy her music.

Honored Contributor

I watched this morning and loved it.  One thing that struck me, that I had never noticed before, was that Ms Ronstadt looks similar to Natalie Wood, who I always wanted to grow up to look like.  Both such beautiful women.  I loved LR's beautiful head of black hair too!

I wish I had seen her in concert during her performing days.

I had a bit of a hard time with Emmylou Harris until I decided to get over it.  This is because, decades ago, I was with somebody who was into Bluegrass Festivals.  I went to several with him, all in CA.  One of them has Ms Harris as a headliner.   When she finally showed up several hours later (she was there in town, thereby not delayed beyond her control) she was just awful to everybody.   She did not care one whit.   She was a total jerk in every way, rude, and condescending.   I remember seeing a lot of those fans tearing up their ELHarris cassettes (yeah, a long time ago).   Hopefully, that wasn't who she really is but it was disconcerting. 

I'm not into country western music but seeing her on this movie I was reminded that she has a brilliant voice.   Loved the Harris, Parton, Ronstadt music.  That would have been great to see, also!

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I love Linda Ronstadt!! She had the most beautiful sweet yet powerful voice. Unlike many female artists today Linda didn't sell sex.Yet she was so sexy. She never came on stage half naked.She didn't dance provocatively.She just stood there with her microphone & captivated her audience.

Linda was sexy & beautiful without even trying. She was fierce & carved out a place for strong independent women in the music industry.

It's so sad that she can no longer sing. But thankfully we can forever enjoy her music.

I love everything you said here!   Myself being somebody who is just herself and no airs, one of the things I think I always loved about Ms Ronstadt has been that she is herself.  She would do her best at whatever she was doing, but no games.