Trusted Contributor

Does anyone follow this series on the Nat'l Geographic channel?  I found it by accident several months ago channel surfing, it's a series that follows people living in remote areas of Alaska surviving off the land, some of it is scripted by the producers but overall I find it very interesting and entertaining.  My favorite is Jessie Holmes, the dog musher.....

It is on weekly (Tues) the season's finale - Life Below Zero - Next Generation, just ended last night, but re-runs continue weekly that I still watch and enjoy.

Honored Contributor

It's been on for years. I've seen many of the episodes though my husband is the one that usually watches it. It's definitely an interesting series.

Trusted Contributor

@colliemom4 ....I realized it has been on for years from the dates of the re-runs being shown, as mentioned I just happened to catch this series just by channel surfing several months ago, nonetheless, I find this series intertaining regardless of how old the reruns are..

Respected Contributor

@SoCal Bred My husband is a big fan. He watches every episode and the reruns. If you like this show, I think you will also enjoy "The Last Alaskans." It is one of the more authentic of the Alaskan shows and seems less scripted. These people occupy the last cabins that will be permitted in the Alaskan Reserve.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Life Below Zero Series

[ Edited ]

@On It ....Same here with my hubby!  I'm sure we will be tuning in on "The Last Alaskans."  Thanks for the tip.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Life Below Zero Series

[ Edited ]

Yes, for years. Probably since it first came on the air. And New Generation since that started as well.

I record the show and fast forward over the Hailstones. Same old story line for the past few years though they have been bringing their daughters & grandkids on more and more. Probably in an effort to make them interesting again.

As for The Last Alaskans I haven't seen any new episodes for a couple of years now. I do miss that one. Hope it comes back.

Honored Contributor

@SoCal Bred wrote:

Does anyone follow this series on the Nat'l Geographic channel?  I found it by accident several months ago channel surfing, it's a series that follows people living in remote areas of Alaska surviving off the land, some of it is scripted by the producers but overall I find it very interesting and entertaining.  My favorite is Jessie Holmes, the dog musher.....

It is on weekly (Tues) the season's finale - Life Below Zero - Next Generation, just ended last night, but re-runs continue weekly that I still watch and enjoy.

I have watched the ones with the older woman who stays out there by herself.  She has been attacked by animals etc...  I often wonder what made her want to live that way.  Is there a camera crew? or is there just a camera set up.  It is a very interesting show and for real.

A few years ago I discovered Alaskan Bush People i discovered they do not really live the way the show portrays them.  They actually stay in hotels sometimes.  They are kind of strange.

Trusted Contributor

@sunshine 919 ....Sue Aikens has lived in Kavik for 17 yrs and has decided to retire from what I've read previously.  I am so amazed of how much she takes care and handles that camp all by herself and can do just about anything a man can do, IMO.    The camera crew on site don't have the previlege of sleeping in hotels while filming the segments but have to sleep in camps as well, but I am sure they are well accomodated.

Respected Contributor

@SoCal Bred I was telling my husband that you are enjoying Life Below Zero. He asked me to tell you that the same production company does a show called "Port Protection," which is based in the Alaskan Rain Forest. It is more nautical in its adventures, but I enjoy watching it as well.

Trusted Contributor

@On It ....Yes, I have tuned into that series as well, thanks again!