Honored Contributor

Re: Liberty Mutual Commercials

[ Edited ]

OT - I find it rather sad when I see ads featuring Alex Trebek (who is battling fourth-stage pancreatic cancer) selling life insurance.

Trusted Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

OT - I find it rather sad when I see ads featuring Alex Trebek (who is battling third-stage colon cancer) selling life insurance.

If you feel sad about his illness, here's accurate information:  Alex Trebek is battling Stage 4 pancreatic cancer, not colon cancer.  I'm pretty sure those Colonial Penn commercials will be pulled pretty soon as they are macabre in the light of his future prospects.

Honored Contributor

When I saw that this morning I said to myself "imagine how much they could lower premiums if they stopped with the stupid tv commercials every 15 minutes..."

That includes all the insurance companies.

Honored Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@gizmogal,

LiMu and Doug bring a much-needed emu-and-human-sidekick elegance to it all. 

Much needed?  Elegance?  Really?

Hey, I didn’t write the articles or write those words about the campaign. You asked for some insight to what it’s supposed to mean and I provided links to read it from the ad industry point of view. Don’t make it like you’re quoting me. Make it clear you’re quoting from the citations. I think the whole LiMu emu thing is a far reach. I used the word silly. Quote me on that. 

@gizmogal, I didn't mean for it to sound like I was quoting you.  I just tagged you since you gave the links so I figured you had at least read them.  Most others probably just scrolled on by. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gizmogal wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

OT - I find it rather sad when I see ads featuring Alex Trebek (who is battling third-stage colon cancer) selling life insurance.

If you feel sad about his illness, here's accurate information:  Alex Trebek is battling Stage 4 pancreatic cancer, not colon cancer.  I'm pretty sure those Colonial Penn commercials will be pulled pretty soon as they are macabre in the light of his future prospects.

Thank you for the correction, I have edited my original post to reflect the correct diagnosis.

Respected Contributor

I remember not too long ago when Liberty Mutual's commercials were among my favorite.  They showed people helping people and I thought were excellent.   No longer.   Theirs are among the worst now.   Must have changed ad agencies.

Valued Contributor

If  my husband sings that jingle one more.......Smiley Frustrated

Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess   I just asked my husband the same question when the commercial was on  about the Emu and he had no idea what it meant either.  In one word which by the way my husband told me I say frequently, "weird" 

Valued Contributor

By some stroke of luck, I've managed to avoid seeing this one! The rest of the Liberty of Mutual commercials are on my most disliked list, and I imagine this one will eventually end up there when my luck runs out.

Honored Contributor

@gizmogal 

Thanks for the link, I’m one who  doesn’t have an extra brain cell to spend on commercials.  

Probably should pay more attention to them as they are no doubt less stressing than the news.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras