Honored Contributor

Can someone explain about the emu on the new Liberty Mutual commercials?  I'm just not getting it at all. I thought the extreme calves were bad enough, but now this.

Valued Contributor

Re: Liberty Mutual Commercials

I'm no brain surgeon but I have no idea what this emu is supposed to represent.  I hate their commercials especialy the one with the young woman with the nasally high-pitched voice.  Instant channel changer.  Also saw a commercial for toilet paper for cleaning "down there".  I must have no sense of humor. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

It’s way too silly and oblique to make the connection, but it’s somewhat of a takeoff on the much cuter Geico ads. Geico gecko supposed to relate as Liberty Mutual (LiMu) emu. 

The main thrust of the new tagline on the LiMu ad is that different people have different insurance needs, so LiMu policies can be customized. 

If it’s possible to make any sense of the purpose of “Doug & Emu”, read this and decide if it’s worth burning one more brain cell contemplating the rationales of ad campaigns. 

https://coverager.com/introducing-limu-emu-and-doug/

https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2019/03/01/liberty-mutual-has-a-new-spokesperson-and-it-s-an...

Hope I’ve helped!

Honored Contributor

@bootsanne, I don't care for the care for"down there" commercials either.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gizmogal,

Quote from one of the links:  LiMu and Doug bring a much-needed emu-and-human-sidekick elegance to it all. 

Much needed?  Elegance?  Really?  Where did they come up with that one?

Esteemed Contributor

These are among the worst!!!

Seems as if there are drug commercials or stupid, insulting ones.  I can tolerate the Geico ones a bit.  The ones featuring Jamie are  ridiculous.

As for personal care products, no thank you!!! Seems as if no topic is off limits!

Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@gizmogal,

LiMu and Doug bring a much-needed emu-and-human-sidekick elegance to it all. 

Much needed?  Elegance?  Really?

Hey, I didn’t write the articles or write those words about the campaign. You asked for some insight to what it’s supposed to mean and I provided links to read it from the ad industry point of view. Don’t make it like you’re quoting me. Make it clear you’re quoting from the citations. I think the whole LiMu emu thing is a far reach. I used the word silly. Quote me on that. 

Trusted Contributor

They used to put a little effort in commercials, now I hate them all, most especially insurance ads.

Honored Contributor

I don't "get" a lot of commercials.  Sometimes don't even know what it's trying to sell.

Esteemed Contributor

Absolutely cannot stand Liberty, Progressive or General insurance commercials.  An instant mute for me.