Honored Contributor

Re: LiMu Emu and Doug commercials

Question: Is the emu in that insurance commercial real or CGI?

Answer: The “LiMu Emu,” featured in ads for Liberty Mutual Insurance, has been a big hit for the company, which has gotten requests for emu-themed merchandise and has plans for more emu commercials later this summer. As for how the emu appears in the ads, here’s the word from Jenna Lebel, vice president, brand and integrated marketing for the company: “LiMu Emu is a mix of a real bird and CGI. Live emus were used during the initial shoot on set. The final images of the emu in the commercials are a blend of footage captured from the live emus and our digitally created emu. Goodby, Silverstein & Partners (Liberty Mutual’s advertising agency of record) collaborated with The Mill LA, a creative technology and visual effects studio, to bring LiMu Emu to life. For the commercials, the team created a digital model based on the live emu, which was used to supplement the footage.”

Respected Contributor

Yes, the  LiMu Emu/Doug commercials got me to remember the company's name but in a ''negative way''....so I'll know who to not buy insurance from when I need it.

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

Those Liberty Mutual commercials are putting me over the edge !  The one with the siren blasting, with 'Doug' saying '''I CAN SAVE YOU'' while  car racing down the road is the absolute worst ! Yes, I'd change the channel if I knew it was going to come on but the siren blares as soon as the commercial comes on.  SO ANNOYING !!  HEADS UP TO LIBERTY MUTUAL:  I WOULDN'T BUY YOUR INSURANCE BECAUSE OF IT !!

One of worse commercials ever

Esteemed Contributor

@RealtyGal2 wrote:

I have a worse commercial. Have you seen the latest Poise commercials? The tag line is "even though she is dripping (or some similiar expression) it is okay because she has Poise in her pants". Then they show a beeker of yellow liquid being poured onto the pad. They say on their facebook page that they are going for reality so women will understand the product. These commercials are so degrading and humiliating that I have gone on their website and complained and said that I will never use their products.

Every year it seems I have to write to Poise to complain about their indecent commercials!!

i am not a prude but they have no discretion!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I can't tolerate any of those LM commercials.  

Esteemed Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

Those Liberty Mutual commercials are putting me over the edge !  The one with the siren blasting, with 'Doug' saying '''I CAN SAVE YOU'' while  car racing down the road is the absolute worst ! Yes, I'd change the channel if I knew it was going to come on but the siren blares as soon as the commercial comes on.  SO ANNOYING !!  HEADS UP TO LIBERTY MUTUAL:  I WOULDN'T BUY YOUR INSURANCE BECAUSE OF IT !!

I have to agree, especially about that one in particular. Seriously? Racing down a highway and handing off a business card to the car next to him??? I love Lemu, but Doug can go away.

@sarahpanda wrote:

Esteemed Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@sarahpanda  Completely agree!!!!!  As soon as it comes on, we mute it.  One of the worst commercials going.  Also the State Farm Jake at 3 in the morning.  An insult to women IMO!!

And to her husband. What thinking person would be trying to buy insurance at 3 in the morning in the first place. Plus, what about the trust factor in their relationship?

Esteemed Contributor

While I hate the commercial, I will buy insurance from whomever has the lowest rates.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

DH really got me good on this digital animal stuff or whatever you call it.

Several weeks ago there was this commercial with a cow.  I looked at it and said, Wow, that is the biggest cow I ever saw.  He said, "that is not a cow"... to which I answered "yes, look again it has to be".  He started shaking with laughter...he said...."look at it closely...it's purple" to which I replied...."It is not, it's dark brown".  By this time his belly is jiggling he is laughing so hard. All of a sudden the big cow on TV rared up like a horse, pawing the air while rearing up and I knew then it wasn't a cow.  I started laughing too although I felt somewhat humiliated. We both actually laughed till we cried!    

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr  This "Jake from State Farm" is a remake of one that was showing in 2011. 

I suppose they wanted to make a point that if you Wanted to They are there for you at 3:00A.M.  THATS why when she asks what are you wearing "Jake from state Farm"?  he asks his Co-worker if they ever ask what you're wearing and the other man responds Uh-Yeah because that is supposed to be the agent from the original commercial. The "Uh- Kacki" line is from the original.

I really Do Not iike the LiMu and Doug commercials. I mean WHY would he have an Emu as a partner?Why??