Honored Contributor

Re: LiMu Emu and Doug commercials

@gardenman wrote:

And the emu does not look happy in any of those ads. If you're going to use an animal in ads, use a domestic animal that's happy performing, not something like an emu.

@gardenman    Emus are nasty-tempered, mean, dangerous birds.  Hardly the animal with which you'd share your car.  I agree, use a friendly animal (or none at all).

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

I agree with all of you.  I hit the mute button fast.  We need to add in the Progressive commercials to this list.

I will admit I do mute 99.9% of all commercials.  The ones I do giggle at are the MMs commercials.  I think they are a hoot, especially the one where there were introducing the hazelnut one and when they open up the curtins, all you see are the white gloves and the rest of the MMs were on the sideline giggling "We Ate Them! .

Esteemed Contributor

I like the emu.  Doug tries to be serious about explaining insurance while the bird is doing its bird stuff.    The latest one on the motorcycle makes me laugh because Doug is trying to talk to Limu about insurance and its more interested in catching bugs that fly by.  It strikes me funny, in a quirky sort of way. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

The Liberty Mutual commercials with Doug and the emu make me smile - they're profoundly bizarre.  They're so short - 15 or 30 seconds - I don't see how they could bother people much.

On the other hand, Jake from State Farm commercials are stupid.  The incensed woman is embarassing.  Was the commercial written and produced by eighth-graders?

I must say my puppy finds Doug and Limu Emu absolutely must watch TV.  She leaps and barks through every commercial.  It's great exercise and any commercials with dogs helps keep her fit.  LOL.  Now, I want to scream every time I see or hear the Kars for Kids commercial.  Seriously, they're so old that I believe the 'kids' must be close to retirement age.  I have seen and heard this is one of the all time most irritating commercials.  

Respected Contributor

@Hair Today Gone Tomorrow ..Yes, the LM commercials are short BUT they run them, at least in my area, several times a day !  MANY, MANY TIMES  ...on every channel !  I'd go so far as to say they are the most played commercials on tv .  ugh !

Honored Contributor

Liberty Mutual is laughing all the way to the bank! See how great their marketing is? You all are talking about it. You've remembered the name of the insurance agency and what the commercial is saying. Bravo!!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Maybe Liberty likes people talking about their commercials, but based on most of these posts, it's in a negative way.  Not exactly drumming up sales, I would guess.

Honored Contributor

I think the Liberty Mutual commercials are bizarre and funny - they exhibit a sense of humor and an ability to laugh at themselves.  Quite frankly, I'm surprised so many here are offended.  But that's okay; to each, his own. 

Prior to this thread, I didn't know the emu's name was LiMu - lol.  Clever! 

Honored Contributor

I have been a customer of Liberty Mutual since 1983 and I have to tell you this would be the one reason I change companies.  LOL

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Contributor

We like the emu commercials and always chuckle. Also liked the young actor who could never remember his lines....”Liberty Biberty, What if I just came out of the water?”...then finally runs into the microphone over his head.