Honored Contributor

Re: Let's talk about the current run of Hallmark Christmas movies...

I've watched exactly 2 of them in my life one was okay but 2 was enough for me.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids    Two?  I never got past one.  I consider them to be at the bottom of the quality movie scale, about like those romance Harlequin novels. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay wrote:

I agree with the Hallmark ones. I don't think they are as good or varied as in years past.

I've been watching a lot that I haven't seen before on the free streaming channels-some are live and others are dvd? where you can pause etc. They do have commercials but you can just mute.

Pluto, Roku, Peacock.

I just saw one with Brooke Shields in Ireland, called Castle Christmas. I liked it and loved the beautiful scenery.Surprisingly some hated it and others gave it a 10. I thought she was great in this-a good actress and others thought she was awful. 🤷‍♀️

@on the bay 

I caught the Brooke Shields A Castle for Christmas, too. (Scotland, my dear, not Ireland. Woman Wink)

Cary Elwes was in it, too. I loved that knitting group. 

(ETA: Hallmark-esque on Netflix.)

I didn't think it was particularly well-acted and it was a bit unbelievable how she could afford not only a castle, but afford all she was buying and paying for. I've read that romance novelists don't make as much as we think they do.

In any event, the scenery was worth the whole show. The drive from the airport to the inn is so pretty. And it did make me almost shed a tear in the happy parts, which just goes to show the formula works!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Oh yes Scotland @GingerPeach!

I'm laughing because my grandmother who was Scottish, never wanted to admit that her ex was from Ireland. But we all always identified more with the Irish, as my father did.

My father had all the entire way back family history and all visited their graves back in Ireland long before there was Ancestry.com. There were trunk fulls of letters and pictures.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

I don't know if I'm just getting tired of them or if they are really not very good this year.

I watched the one with Allison Sweeney and the Christmas card found in her old math book.  It was my first time ever in the history of watching the Hallmark movies that I actually used my fast forward button throughout some of the scenes.  

I really enjoy Alllison Sweeney and I loved her in the Murder, She Baked series.  I've also enjoyed her performances in other Hallmark movies, but not this one.

The other one I watched last night was just as bad in my opinion.   It was about the woman who had amnesia and the male nurse who drove her to the Christmas tree lighting ceremony so she could find the person named Mark.  

The whole hospital scenes before they left on their trip were ridiculous.  What hospital would allow this woman to stay there without any insurance or means to pay the bill? She spends over a week in the hospital and when she leaves the nurses buy her clothes, give her money, the police give her a cell phone and they all, including the doctor, just merrily wave good-by to her.  

Neither the woman or the male nurse know anything about each other but yet they take off together in the car to make a cross country trip.  Not once did anyone even mention that this woman could be pulling a scam.  She supposedly has no memory of who she is or where she is going to go but yet she is bright and bubbly.  Of course the outcome is the same as always, he falls madly in love with her within just weeks and is going to uproot his entire life for her.

I have a few more of the new Hallmark movies on my DVR waiting to be watched.  Hopefully they will be better.  

If they aren't I promise I won't come back here and continue to rant about how bad they have become. LOL!  

Thanks for reading and not telling me to just stop watching them.  I think I am addicted.

I've seen my share of Hallmark movies, Christmas and otherwise, and I know they will sometimes put in something "deviant" like a scam, but then everyone learns in the end. Or am I imagining?

In any event, they might want to add something like that as a learning opportunity or a challenge to be overcome or some sort of story conflict. At least for H's Movies and Mysteries channel since the regular H channel is pretty saccharine (which has its place, too).

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

Oh yes Scotland @GingerPeach!

I'm laughing because my grandmother who was Scottish, never wanted to admit that her ex was from Ireland. But we all always identified more with the Irish, as my father did.

My father had all the entire way back family history and all visited their graves back in Ireland long before there was Ancestry.com. There were trunk fulls of letters and pictures.

That's funny, @on the bay 

I have both Scottish and Irish ancestry, too! My daughter is looking into the whole family history and has found some fascinating stuff.

I told her she should watch the movie just for the scenery.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I want the Candace Cameron Brue pink coat.   It had sold out, then, the other day I saw the pink in large was on waitlist I flew to the phone and the CS said it wasn't available the order page hadn't been updated.

wahhhh..............that pink coat is so pretty !

6367076160363964849014880-1.gif

@SharkE 

I kind of wish some of Candace Cameron Bure's clothing from her Aurora Teagarden series would be sold on QVC instead of CCB's designs. Some of the sweaters and such are really interesting.  Although I have no doubt there are numerous issues preventing such a venture.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 Yep two! A recent one was based on a book by Debbie Macomber so I watched it. Predictable but not  as treacly sweet as the first one.

Ugh! Harlequin! Many eons ago the receptionist in the law firm where I worked read these constantly on her lunch hour. One day she offered me one so I accepted it, knowing nothing about them. Was reading it at home and after about 2 chapters I burst out laughing and told my husband "This is the silliest piece of stuff I've ever read."

Esteemed Contributor

I am not enjoying as many of the new Christmas movies as I usually do but we all like different ones as in everything.  I think the writing has slipped  and glad I have some older ones on my DVR that I watch.  It's hard to churn out so many with a single theme but it's a fantasy world and akin to Disney's Cinderella, Snow White etc for adults. Escapism.

If their not your thing that's OK, don't watch, I have turned some off that others enjoy and ones I like others don't.  I enjoyed the Brooke Shields one, the scenery, the knitters, the characters the castle and the "Duke" Of course we knew from the beginning how it would end but it was fun getting there. 

Respected Contributor

My favorite is Candles on Bay Street. It's an old one but I will watch. They are all over done. But I will watch knowing what to expect.