Honored Contributor

The last few months I've noticed I watch very little tv.  I always had my programs that I watched or dvred and watched later.  I have a real backlog, and even the rest of the household has lost interest. I seem to spend free time on my tablet or kindle, and it has happened so gradually it just seems weird. I have no interest in old programs, true crime, or game shows and those programs seem to be prevalent. I would love another Downton Abbey, but programs like that are in short supply. I like Netflix and Amazon but I don't always want to watch a movie. I think my attention span is not what it used to be. Anyone else turn off the tube ?

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Not yet, but once all of my shows wrap up for the Summer Season, I will watch far less tv. I generally watch much less tv in the summer anyway.

I live in The Midwest and our Summers are short, so I try to take advantage of the nice weather whenever I can... 

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

Not yet, but once all of my shows wrap up for the Summer Season, I will watch far less tv. I generally watch much less tv in the summer anyway.

I live in The Midwest and our Summers are short, so I try to take advantage of the nice weather whenever I can... 

@CANDLEQUEEN , Yes it's a good time to turn off the tube.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I only get my TV via cable. I don't like television enough to spend any more money on it. Despite that, I've watched more TV in the last year than in any other year of my life. I try to find escapist movies. I refuse to watch downers. With the loss of my niece, my husband's dementia, my dog's cancer, my 99 year old mother's decline, plus the Covid nightmare of course, all in the last year, I need upbeat entertainment. TCM is great and I discovered Tyler Perry's Madea, my guilty pleasure. My other escapes are HGTV and The Food Channel. PBS also has some excellent programs. When I want to get depressed, I watch or read the news. 

Honored Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

I only get my TV via cable. I don't like television enough to spend any more money on it. Despite that, I've watched more TV in the last year than in any other year of my life. I try to find escapist movies. I refuse to watch downers. With the loss of my niece, my husband's dementia, my dog's cancer, my 99 year old mother's decline, plus the Covid nightmare of course, all in the last year, I need upbeat entertainment. TCM is great and I discovered Tyler Perry's Madea, my guilty pleasure. My other escapes are HGTV and The Food Channel. PBS also has some excellent programs. When I want to get depressed, I watch or read the news. 

@Vivian  You'd think the whole COVID thing would have increased my viewership , but it was just the opposite. 

Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Frequent Contributor

I've noticed the same thing. It started about a year ago. I have numerous shows on my watch lists on Amazon, Netflix, etc., however I have to really be in the mood to sit and watch something. Last weekend was the first time that I sat down and watched a back log of 48 hours, Dateline and 20/20. Too many of those shows in one sitting can be a real downer, so then I had to watch a sappy romantic comedy to offset the true crime shows.  Over the past year, I started doing yoga daily and listening to a lot of books on Audible. My attention span is the same as you described. I have no idea why.

Honored Contributor

I just have DirecTV, no premiums and I don't subscribe to any of the streaming services either. I'd watch more TV if there was something good to watch but lately it has been slim pickins'. I have a few shows which I dvr but other than that I don't care to watch much else. 

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

The last few months I've noticed I watch very little tv.  I always had my programs that I watched or dvred and watched later.  I have a real backlog, and even the rest of the household has lost interest. I seem to spend free time on my tablet or kindle, and it has happened so gradually it just seems weird. I have no interest in old programs, true crime, or game shows and those programs seem to be prevalent. I would love another Downton Abbey, but programs like that are in short supply. I like Netflix and Amazon but I don't always want to watch a movie. I think my attention span is not what it used to be. Anyone else turn off the tube ?

yes,  less and less new, or interesting 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@VivianI'm really sorry to hear all that you have going on. I'm glad you have an escape. I also agree with you about watching the news.

Honored Contributor

check out youtube

so much old stuff there to watch, and listen to