Honored Contributor

Re: Leaving Neverland documentary on HBO

@hsawaknow wrote:

I truly felt sorry for Michael Jackson and think his Father had a lot to do with Michaels issues.

Yes, he was messed up...many kids are...

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori I don't see any similarity in the allegations against MJ and the proven criminality of Cosby and the Church.  with regards to the church, it is well established that the bad conduct occurred and that the church covered it up.  the church might still dispute some specific claims, but the broad scandal is undisputed.  The church debates what to do about it.  Cosby was convicted and dozens of accusers have come forward.  he has admitted to the conduct in jokes and an interview with Larry King.  with MJ, i think it is clear he did some bad things, sleeping in the same bedroom as children, but he disputed the sexual abuse allegations, and they have never been established.  people are suggestible, and the whole thing is just bad.

Honored Contributor

I don't have HBO, but I will watch Opra's interview some of the boys, now men.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Being a rich talented musician does not preclude preying on young boys for sesual (misspelled for censorship reasons) purposes. If you have enough money, the criminal justice system can be nullified. He was damaged by his father but he had the means to seek therapy to deal with that. As they say " Hurt people hurt people."I will watch the documentary.

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@LoriLori I don't see any similarity in the allegations against MJ and the proven criminality of Cosby and the Church.  with regards to the church, it is well established that the bad conduct occurred and that the church covered it up.  the church might still dispute some specific claims, but the broad scandal is undisputed.  The church debates what to do about it.  Cosby was convicted and dozens of accusers have come forward.  he has admitted to the conduct in jokes and an interview with Larry King.  with MJ, i think it is clear he did some bad things, sleeping in the same bedroom as children, but he disputed the sexual abuse allegations, and they have never been established.  people are suggestible, and the whole thing is just bad.

@NYCLatinaMe , 

The similarities are obvious:  In all three situations it took a long, long time for most victims to go public and a lot longer for them to be believed   The church situation is still unfolding now.  With Cosby it took a case where the statute of limitations had not expired and he still got a mistrial the first go-round.   

You have your opinion and I have mine.  Neither of us will convince the other so no point in discussing it further.  Michael Jackson is dead, he can't damage any more young boys.

Esteemed Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I wonder if we'll hear from Lisa Marie.

I would love to hear Lisa Marie's perspective, but somehow I don't think we'll ever get the whole truth from her.

Esteemed Contributor

That was difficult to watch.  I found them both very believable.

Even if there wasn't sexual abuse (but I believe them when they say there was) the way he befriended them then tossed them aside for another boy had to be so hurtful and confusing.

When Safechuck spoke about the jewelry, my heart really went out to him.  All those faxes to Robson!  He really was wacko jacko.

Trusted Contributor

I watched Part 1 last night and found it really disturbing.  It's very sad that these boys were so brainwashed that they did not tell their parents what was going on.  But most of all, these parents who were so dazzled by MJ's wealth and fame, that they let their sons have sleepovers with an adult man!  I just couldn't get over these terrible parents, who basically sold their sons.  I will watch Part 2 and the Oprah special tonight.

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

Do we draw any parallels in this and the Me2 movement?  Allegations, investigations, trials, rumors?  How similar, dissimilar are these allegations of abuse do you think?  I am offering up no answers, I am thinking about famous people being accused. 

Trusted Contributor

With Cosby and even Harvey Weinstein, we heard those stories for decades! There were always jokes about "the casting couch", so it is not like this was the first time. Same with MJ. And R. Kelly. A lot of the issues and the reasons some of these men weren't arrested earlier is that the parents (at least in the R. Kelly case) said that it was not their daughter in the video. Whether that was because they were being paid, were embarrassed, or whatever, it allowed him to continue this behavior. With MJ, I always wondered why the parents allowed their young children to have unchaperoned sleep overs with a grown man. I am sure the kids begged and leaded, but. . .

I do believe the allegations and I hope that these survivors can find their peace. I am sorry for the Jackson family, but even if Michael thought that he was showing love, it was wrong. I do believe he believed he never would "hurt" a child. 

I think that what the Me, Too movement may have done well was that what, in the past, was excused, tolerated, or accepted, no longer is. What is has done badly is that there is no longer any due process. Once accused, the men go right to conviction in the public eye, because everyone wants to jump on this bandwagon.