Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I disagree, yesterday on The Talk they discussed this in full and felt that although his coimments were terrible, he expressed his feelings now in such a way that they found respect for him. Listen carefully to his words from this week to Robin Roberts, Gayle King also found some defense for him.

That's because they are as befuddled as the rest of us and they are trying to explain and deflate because he's good person who opened his mouth and put both feet and an arm in it for no apparent reason.  It's excellent example of stars believing that they are more important to this world than they truy are.  Sharing that story will likely do more harm than good because people will take whatever they want from it.    

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

I think if you are not politically correct then don’t say it out loud.The freedom of speech is not going to protect you if you do.

Oh, good grief.  What he said was not about political correctness.  Go, online and read what what he chose to share with the world.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Leam Is Done

[ Edited ]

@Love to Run@I think you are 100 percent correct.We need to be honest and open and come to an understanding about biases.We can’t change if we can’t talk.

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

This isn't about how he has grown and evolved over the decades.  That's not the issue.  Most of us don't know why he would tell such an ugly story when there is no greater good to the story.  There's no lesson to be learned from it.  It serves no purpose.  It changes no one's thoughts or perceptions about anything except him.  I think, in his mind, he had a reason for telling it but he failed to convey that reason.   

@chrystaltree

I respectufully disagree. I read the article, not the story about the article. He discusses his journey towards healing from that mindset--that is the lesson to be learned. Yes it's an ugly story, but racism is ugly. We can only move forward through open dialogue, painful though it may be.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree@What he said was about his past.I think that people change and that he has been working on that.If you can’t ever forgive or forget or accept change then we can’t ever move on.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

You might consider this: from what I understand he freely and openly brought this up himself. He could have stayed silent and kept it to himself, but apparently, it has bothered him enough all these years that he needed to talk about it. "The truth shall set you free." I hope he finds some solace in it and is able to foregive himself.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm sure he knew he was taking a risk bringing this up and don't think it will affect his career.  This happened 40 years ago and I'm sure he is a different person now.  He said people need to have conversations about differences, etc. 

Honored Contributor

Very few people can go 40 years without changing in some way. I don't think he gained much in sharing this information, but it was his story to tell. I hope it wasn't just for publicity.

Honored Contributor

I listened to him speak and applaud him for having the courage to bring it up and discuss it. LISTEN to what HE says; not the PC junk ABOUT what he said.

I'm going to put a different spin on this:

If ANYONE where to EVER harm one of my children, you better believe I would hunt them down (myself and those close to me). I don't care what color your skin is, what sex you are, your income,your job title, nothing. You're going to pay. If that makes me racist, so be it. It means that the majority of parents I know are also racist and they come in all colors, faiths and incomes as well.

Geez, people, FORTY YEARS AGO. He was 23 and a very very dear friend was raped by a black man; hence why he was looking for a black man. He stated very clearly, he would have done the SAME if the guy was white, a Scot, an Irishman, Chinese, etc. It's about getting revenge for the horrific crime NOT the color of the skin.

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

I listened to him speak and applaud him for having the courage to bring it up and discuss it. LISTEN to what HE says; not the PC junk ABOUT what he said.

I'm going to put a different spin on this:

If ANYONE where to EVER harm one of my children, you better believe I would hunt them down (myself and those close to me). I don't care what color your skin is, what sex you are, your income,your job title, nothing. You're going to pay. If that makes me racist, so be it. It means that the majority of parents I know are also racist and they come in all colors, faiths and incomes as well.

Geez, people, FORTY YEARS AGO. He was 23 and a very very dear friend was raped by a black man; hence why he was looking for a black man. He stated very clearly, he would have done the SAME if the guy was white, a Scot, an Irishman, Chinese, etc. It's about getting revenge for the horrific crime NOT the color of the skin.

But I think what he can't get past is that he was willing to harm any black man in revenge, not even the rapist.