Respected Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 that woman you were talking about that got sued 19 times, she was interviewed by Leah.  Thankfully, she had a happy ending although the hurt she endured she said she will never fully recover from.  In the end, the FBI believed her and she successfully won a law suit against many in that organization that defamed her. 

Honored Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

I read where Katie's father and brother are big-shot lawyers and orchestrated her divorce from Tom.  There was a lot of planning before-hand.   I read that they had "all their ducks in a row"........

Thankfully for her and her daughter, they got her out of this mess.  I have to worry about what happens to fmaily members who don't have this support?

Esteemed Contributor

@truffle wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 that woman you were talking about that got sued 19 times, she was interviewed by Leah.  Thankfully, she had a happy ending although the hurt she endured she said she will never fully recover from.  In the end, the FBI believed her and she successfully won a law suit against many in that organization that defamed her. 

Yes, I am so happy for her that she won that. I knew they were a nutty and vengeful organization but these shows really showed me the crazy extent they go to. It is truly frightening!!!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

My question is how the he&& did some dude get away with declaring his gimmick a "church?"  What's next, the tax exempt church of witchcraft!?  The church of Little Green Trees?  (The Church of the Incredible MacDuff System of Life, Prosperity, and Utopia...send me all your money, property, and brains and I promise to show you the secret to a perfect life without any messy reality!  LOL!)

My other question is going to agitate some, and I hope you'll take my word that "blaming the victim" is not my intention.  I know Leah touches on it a few times (I've watched up to Ep. 3, The Bridge).  How is it that people get involved in something like this?  Wouldn't it take some time before the brainwashing takes effect...time to recognize that the Bridge to Freedom is a misnomer?  Did no one warn them?  Did they hate reality so much that any crazy thing was better?  Pam Kahn (I think that's her name) mentioned the need to "belong"...a big thing psychologically, for sure, but a full blown movement back in the '60s!  

In a discussion in RL, someone mentioned that, if you are not able to believe in a supernatural being, but you know there is something more, something bigger than your physical self, substituting the mind, as Scientology apparently does, for such a being would be quite seductive.  I'm thinking people like this...intellectuals or maybe people with a scientific bent, for example...would be quite intelligent, discerning, not easily swayed.  Physical, emotional, mental intimidation has its place in a cult, but even I (no brainiac lol) would see it at some point and get the heck out.  I think the whole guilt trip of having indoctrinated your children (or other family members) is a strong reason to stay, but even that is not good enough for me.  I feel awful for these people, but I want to shake some sense into them.  It seems so unbelievably irrational to me!

Are people still joining Scientology?  If yes, I have to assume these people are very young and impressionable.  Otherwise, I have to assume their members are the aging '60s generation and their children.

And what good has this "church" bestowed upon mankind?  I swear I have never once in all these years heard one beneficial thing they've done!

Please don't flame me, I'm really trying to understand.  The whole thing is nuttier than squirrel poop!!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Esteemed Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

My question is how the he&& did some dude get away with declaring his gimmick a "church?"  What's next, the tax exempt church of witchcraft!?  The church of Little Green Trees?  (The Church of the Incredible MacDuff System of Life, Prosperity, and Utopia...send me all your money, property, and brains and I promise to show you the secret to a perfect life without any messy reality!  LOL!)

My other question is going to agitate some, and I hope you'll take my word that "blaming the victim" is not my intention.  I know Leah touches on it a few times (I've watched up to Ep. 3, The Bridge).  How is it that people get involved in something like this?  Wouldn't it take some time before the brainwashing takes effect...time to recognize that the Bridge to Freedom is a misnomer?  Did no one warn them?  Did they hate reality so much that any crazy thing was better?  Pam Kahn (I think that's her name) mentioned the need to "belong"...a big thing psychologically, for sure, but a full blown movement back in the '60s!  

In a discussion in RL, someone mentioned that, if you are not able to believe in a supernatural being, but you know there is something more, something bigger than your physical self, substituting the mind, as Scientology apparently does, for such a being would be quite seductive.  I'm thinking people like this...intellectuals or maybe people with a scientific bent, for example...would be quite intelligent, discerning, not easily swayed.  Physical, emotional, mental intimidation has its place in a cult, but even I (no brainiac lol) would see it at some point and get the heck out.  I think the whole guilt trip of having indoctrinated your children (or other family members) is a strong reason to stay, but even that is not good enough for me.  I feel awful for these people, but I want to shake some sense into them.  It seems so unbelievably irrational to me!

Are people still joining Scientology?  If yes, I have to assume these people are very young and impressionable.  Otherwise, I have to assume their members are the aging '60s generation and their children.

And what good has this "church" bestowed upon mankind?  I swear I have never once in all these years heard one beneficial thing they've done!

Please don't flame me, I'm really trying to understand.  The whole thing is nuttier than squirrel poop!!

If you ever want to see something truly frightening read about Operation Snowwhite. The church actually had a tax free status and then lost it. They then set upon a course to win in back which involved a steady stream of lawsuits against the IRS (I believe it was in the thousands). They placed bugging devices in an IRS conference room and hired private investagators to follow IRS agents and get any type of dirt on them on their private lives they could. In 1993 they agreed they would drop these suits and call off PI's if they could get their status back. Truly disgusting that our government would fold like that.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Valued Contributor

@MacDUFF I agree with your question on why did they join because i went to one in the 90s and red flags came up for me........When you first start there is a questioner you fill out and one of the questions was have you ever taken antidepressants and i had 1 x for a month and quit when it didnt work...Well they told me i could never get a professional audit because of that but i could do audits from students....I didnt like that and could not get a reason why on the audit thing....Btw you could take tranquilizers but not antidepressants...Then while in class and taking there tests this question ,would you stand by Scientology no matter what you hear about them was asked and not just once but many times in different wording and that was it for me i walked and never looked back....There is no way i give my allegiance to  a organazation..God yes any church no way...I can see if you are raised in this cult and the brainwashing happens over time but as a adult i cant understand why they didnt see the red flags.

Valued Contributor

Let me share this freaky experience!Last yr i googled a show about Scientology and then found it on my dish to record and 2 weeks later i am receiving mail from Scientology....Now mind you when i went there yrs ago i have moved many times sense then and have never got anything from them in all these yrs....I also dont believe it was a fluke....I think google or my dish gave them my address which creeps me out.lol

Valued Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Colinka She did explain the cross symbol - not really a cross but something to do with the 8 points on it.  I'm thinking it had to do with those 8 levels of OT.

She also said that they are "allowed" to believe in any religion their choosing.

Thank you for the reply. The cross on all of their buildings seems to imply Christianity.

Valued Contributor

IMO, having a debate over which religion is "real" and which is a cult, is just like a circular firing squad.  I don't care if you believe in a virgin giving birth to a child that is the son of the creator of the universe( but is really part of a triad of divinity), or if you believe that Zeus flew down from Mt. Olympus, or that a group of purple aliens pull the strings on earth, it's all a matter of faith.  No one's faith (especially in supernatural things that have no basis in science) trumps another or is more "real" than someone elses faith.  The difference between Scientology and other religions is that Scientology harrangues you after you leave the church.  Other religions also do this by shunning or gossip or bearing false witness, but it seems Scientology does it in a more vengeful way.

Respected Contributor

I'm sure it took Katie months to plan her escape.  Thankfully, she had her family's support. 

I'm sure they were watched very closely and there was a lot of planning involved.