Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Maudelyn wrote:

IMO, having a debate over which religion is "real" and which is a cult, is just like a circular firing squad.  I don't care if you believe in a virgin giving birth to a child that is the son of the creator of the universe( but is really part of a triad of divinity), or if you believe that Zeus flew down from Mt. Olympus, or that a group of purple aliens pull the strings on earth, it's all a matter of faith.  No one's faith (especially in supernatural things that have no basis in science) trumps another or is more "real" than someone elses faith.  The difference between Scientology and other religions is that Scientology harrangues you after you leave the church.  Other religions also do this by shunning or gossip or bearing false witness, but it seems Scientology does it in a more vengeful way.

@Maudelyn Any religion that makes people disconnect from their families after they have left, punishes it congregation with physical and emotional abuse and forbids you from reading negative opinionsbooks/articles of the church are absolutely less real than other faiths. Faiths and churches that do not do that absolutely do trump "faiths" that do. I am an atheist so I believe in no God but there most certainly a difference.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor
No I'm not a Scientologist just somebody who finds organized religion questionable all around. Christianity uses the ultimate an intimidation tactics when they tell people their souls will go to hell for all eternity if they do not accept Jesus Christ as their lord and savior. Does it really get more intimidating than that? And not just Christianity, most religions mandate a portion of your paycheck. I just don't see Scientology as so different from all the rest but I do see Leah Remini as having a stagnant career and this is a good way to get herself back on the map. As a society we bash what's different and many religions have come under scrutiny... just some things to consider
Super Contributor

After learning of this series, I went back and watched the episodes on On Demand.  I find it terribly interesting and hope it does being some recognition to the problem.  I enjoy listening to Mike Rinder given his former position and inside knowledge.

Super Contributor

Yeah, I've been watching. I DVR it as I really loath cults and find it gratifying to see someone not back down from a cult that has captured far too many people and broken up far too many families. I think there are two more left in the Mini Series before its finished.

I'd also see the Movie Going Clear. Its really good. Its on most Cable still,  On demand.

Esteemed Contributor

If any of you are interested, A & E is getting ready to show the Scientology episodes (4 of them) back to back starting at 6:00 p.m. EST this evening.

Honored Contributor

This disconnect thing is interesting.  Apparently Tom & Nicole's children are devout Scientologists and have disconnected from Nicole.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

This disconnect thing is interesting.  Apparently Tom & Nicole's children are devout Scientologists and have disconnected from Nicole.

That always made me very sad.   I can't imagine having children not see you or speak to you.   

Honored Contributor

IEscapedLosAngeles wrote:

Yeah, I've been watching. I DVR it as I really loath cults and find it gratifying to see someone not back down from a cult that has captured far too many people and broken up far too many families. I think there are two more left in the Mini Series before its finished.

I'd also see the Movie Going Clear. Its really good. Its on most Cable still,  On demand.

I couldn't remember if I had seen 'Going Clear' or not, so I searched it on my Tivo and found that HBO GO has it, so I watched.   I had probably seen it before but it's a very good movie and I also recommend it.

There is so much evidence that they have abused so many.   I am a huge believer that churches should not have tax-free status and this one is one of the most glaring examples of why.

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@VaBelle35 Nicole and her daughter apparently reunited a few months ago.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@VaBelle35 Nicole and her daughter apparently reunited a few months ago.

I saw a picture of them together not too long ago.

Scientology is a cult...period...end of statement.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"